He's Gone

Once Evan reached his home, he went into the bathroom and locked himself inside.

"Why," he sobbed. "Why me?" Evan shook his head as he tried to stop the tears.

This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't supposed to happen.

Jared was supposed to come back alone. Not with Miguel. Jared was supposed to be with him. Not Miguel.

Angrily, he punched the wall repeatedly, his knuckles burning from the pain. But he didn't care. He wanted to feel anything else but this sadness.

He didn't hate Jared. He could never. Evan loved Jared.

He despised Miguel. He wished he never came. He doesn't love Jared the way he does. He didn't know Jared like him.

Once Evan was aware of his thoughts, he shook his head. What happened? Evan never thought such things. He was.. what was the word?

Jealous. Evan was jealous. Now that was an understatement. And who wouldn't be? If the boy you loved left and told you that'd he come back with you but instead, he comes back with someone else.. It's pretty frustrating.

Ring!

It was Evan's phone. He pulled it out to find an unknown number. He answered, wanting his mind to be on something else.

"Hey Evan, it's Miguel!" Said a deep voice enthusiastically. "Jared gave me your number."

Darn it, he thought. The last person he wanted to talk to was him. "Oh," said Evan simply.

"Right," There was a short, silent pause. "Anyways, I wanted to know if you wanted to get some ice cream and just hang out."

"I don't know," responded Evan. "I'm kind of busy."

Miguel answered quickly, as if he was expecting this answer. "Don't worry. I know the situation you and Jared are in. So, he's not coming. Just you and me."

After a hesitation, Evan complied and then hung up as soon as Miguel quit talking.

They were going to go to A La Mode's during the afternoon tomorrow. For now though. He was going to wrap himself on his blankets and cry himself to sleep.

🌿

Maybe he was too early. Or maybe he was too late. Evan wasn't quite sure. But what he did know, was that Miguel was nowhere in sight. Was he messing with him?

As if on cue, he spotted Miguel outside. He watched the male as he walked inside the building and smiled at Evan.

"Hey there! Sorry for being so late, I just needed to do something!" He explained with an apologetic voice.

Evan shook his head slightly and gave him a small, polite grin. "Don't worry about it."

It was like a mental agreement in which both of them stood up and went to order their ice creams. It felt kind of awkward, but, as the minutes went on, the talking got more easier.

"So, I recently heard that you and Jared used to date." Miguel raised an eyebrow at the boy. A devilish smirk spread on his face. "How was it?"

"I.." Evan turned red as he noticed his face expression. "Yeah, it was great really." He looked down at his cup with melted vanilla. He felt embarrassed talking about Jared with his new boyfriend. "He really... He was something."

Miguel raised an eyebrow. "Something? Is that bad? Did he do anything to you?" His voice had suddenly become more panicked which frightened Evan.

"What? Oh no, no! Jared was.." He sighed as he looked outside. "Jared was amazing. He was a sweet guy. He never failed to make my day." Evan chuckled as he looked down at his cup. "We'd come here a lot during the summer. And we'd just talk."

The other male smiled. "Yeah. He's dreamy like that."

This is good, Thought Evan. We're talking casually.

"In college," Began Miguel. "Jared was my very first friend. On our first few days, he'd always talk about you."

Evan glanced at the other with curious eyes. "He did?" His voice was hopeful and soft.

He nodded. "Jared never actually said your name but who else would he be talking about." Miguel sighed. "He'd always say how much he missed you and just how great of a person you were."

Evan blushed at his words. Had he really said that? He bit his bottom lip, trying to resist a goofy smile from spreading onto his lips.

"And Evan?" Miguel seemed to be a little nervous to what he was going to say. "I'm really sorry. I know I came out of nowhere and honestly... I don't want to be the bad guy. I just don't."

"Don't worry about it, Miguel," said Evan in a soft voice. "You're not. Don't be sorry. What matters is that Jared's happy with you."

"He's not," spoke Miguel firmly. The boy's eyes began to water. "He's not happy with me." His voice was shaking and became broken. "Sorry."

Evan blinked a couple times, clearly confused. "What?"

The male stood up. "I like Jared. I love him. But he doesn't love me back. All he talks about is you." The first tear came falling down. It was soon followed by another and another. "He only dated me because he wanted a replacement."

"Miguel I.." Evan was panicking. He didn't know how to comfort someone. "Hey, hey." He walked over to him and wrapped his arms around the boy.

"He loves you Evan, I know it." His voice was muffled but Evan could clearly understand him. "He just didn't want to be alone. He toyed with my feelings and pretended I was you."

Evan was silent as he held the male in his arms. At first, happy, hopeful thoughts ran through his head. He still had a chance. But he immediately began to regret it. How could he think such things when someone was getting hurt because if his selfishness.

"I'm so sorry, Miguel. You don't deserve that," Muttered Evan.

The other didn't reply. He just stayed there, letting tears run down from his face and onto Evan's shoulder. Until, finally he spoke, "I'm going to break up with him. Please, stay with Jared. And make him happy. Or so help my mother, I will hunt you and him down."

Taken back by the sudden change of mood, and terrified at his words, Evan just nodded.

Miguel suddenly broke away from the hug and picked up his cup. "Bye Evan."

Once Evan went home, he laid on his bed and contemplated the events that had just happened. He was confused. As the events of that day went through his mind, he found himself falling asleep.

The next day, early in the morning, he got a phone call from Jared. He answered with a tired groan. But he was quickly woken up by the distressed voice.

"He's gone," Cried Jared. "Miguel left."

Guilt began to rise upon Evan. "Shit."

~~~
Hey there kiddos! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'm super sorry for the slow updates, I'm just a procrastinator, sorry!

Shameful Self Promo Time!!
I just got Instagram (I know, I'm so late) Go ahead and follow it for some memes and other content (mycitruscity) !!

Anyways, my name is Eli and I appreciate your existence!