05 - I need to know

"You two were great!" Bailey yelled in my ear once Sean and I finished the choreo and got back to our friends. She had hugged me as soon as I came close to her, and now she was jumping with her arms still around my neck.

I laughed and tried to get away from her, struggling and eventually failing.

My head was spinning, all I wanted was to sit down, close my eyes and think. I caught Sean's gaze through Bailey's hair: he looked normal. He was smiling mildly, a bit out of breath.

Ken and Julian simultaneously punched him in his arms, laughing and complimenting him for the performance.

Am I the only one here thinking this is freaking surreal?

"Okay, Bails, please let her breathe!" said Tahani, finally freeing me from Bailey's claws. "You were amazing, by the way." she added, now speaking to me.

I nodded gratefully. "Thanks"

"God, I was so worried!" Bailey chimed in again, taking the bottle of water from my bag and offering it to me. "I haven't seen you dance like this in weeks! You were so off your game lately."

"Bailey, come on..." Julian said, half joking half serious.

"What? It's the truth..."

It really was the truth. I couldn't even look at myself in the few videos they published.

"She's right... I was just tired, but hopefully I recovered." I lied, preventing the deepening of the conversation.  

Luckily for me Jojo clapped her hands and thanked everyone, putting a stop to our little show.

She made her way to me, giving me a hug and complimenting me for the performance. She seemed very impressed.

How bad my performances must have been those past weeks?

While I was retrieving my bag from the corner of the room, ready to head home, I heard Julian calling out my name.

"Kaycee, are you listening?"

"Sorry, what?" I answered, genuinely confused. I was on another planet.

I felt the stares of all my friends on me.

"Chloe called saying she is currently at the beach." Julian repeated, holding up his phone. "She wants to hang out with us... do you wanna come?"

To be honest, I just wanted to go home and sleep. My headache was getting bad, and I was truly confused by the whole "Sean situation".

I had wanted normalcy for weeks now, and right when I finally get it back, I feel like something's off.

Maybe it was the lack of communication that upset me.

What's going on in his head?
What made him change all of a sudden?

"Kaycee..."

It was Julian's voice again. I needed to focus on what he asked me.

"Oh, yeah yeah, sure. I'm in."

He threw me a weird look while I tried to smile, calmly and gently. I don't thing he bought it but in the end he nodded happily.

"Okay then... let's go!"

-

We agreed to meet with Chloe close to the Venice Beach skate park. The sun was setting, reflecting on the sea his orange and red colors. Quite a nice and relaxing view after a tough dance class.

The seaside wasn't crowded as I expected. Usually this place was full of people, mostly tourists and kids, but today seemed to be an exception.

Well, in more ways than one...