07 - Come with me

"So, how was your class?" Tahani asked me, rummaging intently through her backpack. After some battling with the fabric, she finally pulled out a chapstick and put it on with a satisfied face .

I had just finished teaching Alex's class, the one he asked me to cover since he couldn't make it in time. Tahani had picked me up with an uber right after, and we were now heading back to LA to grab something to eat.

I smiled at her, laying back in the seat. "It was good, better than I expected!"

She scoffed, glaring playfully at me. "You always expect the worse when it comes to you..."

"I'm just realistic." I said, truthfully. "I don't feel like myself lately and I'm sure my dance is being affected..."

Her amused expression faded into a concerned one. Maybe I was being too honest, but after today I realized I couldn't fake a peace of mind I didn't have.

On my way to the dance studio this morning I got so anxious that I started to say I didn't wanna go. My mum had to stop the car and convince me that I had a responsibility towards the people who paid for the lesson, towards the school who was waiting for me to show up and lastly towards Alexander, who trusted me to replace him.

Luckily I listened to her and I did what I had to do. But my anxiety only quelled when I finally started the lesson and realized that there wasn't a single negative person in the room. The energy was amazing and I relaxed, allowing myself to dance at my best.

"Is this about what Bailey said last week in class?" Tahani asked after a few moments of silence. Now she was attentively examining my face, her chapstick left mid air.

"No. I mean, she was right, that was the first decent dance I did since WOD" I answered quickly. "But I knew it already, I almost expected it, given what happened."

As soon as those words excaped my mouth, I deeply regretted them. Now she was gonna ask questions...

What's with me and all this extroverted attitude today?

"Wait, what do you mean?" She sat up on her seat, her whole body now turned to me. "What happened that is affecting you that much?"

First I looked at her, confusion all over her face. The I looked at the uber driver, who was not so subtly eavesdropping our conversation.

"Look T, I'm telling you all about this later, okay?"

I hinted at the man sitting in the driver's seat and after two seconds Tahani seemed to grasp the concept since she nodded and sat back properly on her seat.

Or at least that's what I thought.

"Hey!" she suddenly screamed at the uber driver. "Sorry, can you drop us like, right here?"

The man blinked in confusion. "Sorry miss?"

"We need to get off here. Now..." she clarified, pointing to the side of the street.

We were already in LA, but our houses were still miles away. It would have been a two hours walk, to say the least. Taken aback, I opened my mouth but couldn't make any sound.

She was just out of her mind. And I honestly didn't think she was so curious, usually that position was held by Bailey.

When the driver pulled over, it was only a matter of seconds before Tahani dragged me out of the car, took my gym bag and made her way in the first restaurant nearby.

I followed her quietly, not knowing what else to do. Turned out it was a mexican place.

She walked straight to a table, not even caring about ordering some much needed food at the counter, and finally looked at me.