17- I guess I need some air

"Jesse?"

The blond boy's signature smile woke me from the trance I had fallen into over the last couple of seconds.

Jesse. The last person I expected to see at the infamous Julian DeGuzman's party, in flesh and blood right in front of me.

What the hell is he doing here?

"It's been a while! How are you?" he asked, all exuberant and cheerful, clearly ignoring the look of shock I must have had on my face. "You know, I was looking for you."

I pressed a hand against my temple, closing my eyes to try and get rid of my growing headache. Loud music and unexpected encounters: not the nicest combination.
"Wait, Jesse what are you doing here? How do you know Ken?"

My question probably sounded more harsh than I intended it to be, but I couldn't help it.

To my surprise he frowned, looking quizzically at me. "Who's Ken?"

"Like, the owner of this house..." I stated, pointing to the ceiling.

Jesse seemed extremely confused by that information, almost as much as me, but seconds later he finally connected the dots.

"Jeez, of course!" he exclaimed. "Sorry, it was Julian who actually invited me to this thing, he didn't say who's house it was."

His answer did nothing but raise more questions, like how did he and Julian meet? Where they friends or what?

And most importantly, why in the world did Julian think that inviting Jesse to this party would have been a good idea? Had he forgotten what happened with Sean when the infamous video of the Dark Horse came out?

As the song that was playing came to an end, I turned around to look at where Sean used to be only moments before Jesse had caught my attention, but he was no longer there.

Amazing. This party is already going from bad to worse.

I finally nodded, bringing back my gaze on the guy in front of me. The poor boy was searching my eyes, trying to find some rational explanation for my weird behavior, and I couldn't blame him.
"Sorry, I wasn't expecting to find you here." I said, sighing and forcing a polite smile on my lips. Then I added "It's nice to see you, though."

He suddenly cheered himself up, displaying again that warm and open expression of his.

For a minute or so we stood there, Jesse trying to make small talk with me while I kept distracting myself looking around in an attempt to spot Sean into the crowd.

I hoped he didn't took it the wrong way. He definitely could not be considered as a fan of Jesse, so the last thing I wanted was another cold reaction like the one he had at the Dark Horse the first time they met.

The only reason I came to this party was our little exchange last week. I made a move, somehow exposing myself, so now all I wanted to do was spend some time with him.

Julian. It was his freaking fault!

What was he think...

"Kaycee?" Jesse waved a hand before my face. I had zoned out again.

"Mmm... sorry, what?"