Episode 107: Scars of the Past

*Hal*

"Ning! Ning!" I yelled, running toward the short cyan-haired girl as she walked back into the tunnel.

She turned around. Her eyes were tear stricken.

"How is An?"

"His pulse... it's as weak as the princess'."

I gulped. Why were my school teammates getting hurt left and right? It was a good thing that Xue's group hadn't advanced beyond the second round. Seeing Sarah and An get hurt was bad enough...

Despite An's best attempts, H.E.H. had managed to advance to the semi-finals. One of us had to stop them...

"B-brother, ou-our ma-match will begin soon," Dan said.

"I'll be there," I said. I took a deep breath. If it was our turn to go up against H.E.H. next, Dan was at risk. The best ones to battle them were Vita, Sloane, and I.

"Ning, please update me on his situation," I said.

"I will," she said, nodding. She choked back a cry. Was she afraid of seeing An in the state he was in? Was that why she hadn't caught up to the medics while Vermeil had?

Vermeil... how was she feeling at this time?

I took a deep breath. These games were supposed to be fun, a time to relax. Yet, that had stopped being the case...

Even before the games began, things had started on a bad note with Lei and Sarah both getting attacked. Then Alto got hurt that he had to be rushed into the hospital, followed by Sarah, and now An.

Those evolutionists were behind each one of those. But why would they go to the point of maiming during the games? Had they no idea that it would reflect badly on their nation? Did they wish to be seen as barbarians? Hmm, perhaps they did wish to be feared.

It was no secret that H.E.H. held a deep hatred of the empire, especially the Rios who founded it. So ruining their games wasn't out of left field.

"Bro-brother?" Dan asked.

"Sorry," I said, glancing up.

"He'll be fi-fine."

A smile overcame me. "I hope so."

Waiting for us in the now restored white tiled battlefield were three Torans. Two girls and one guy. Vita also waited for us.

"How is An doing?" Vita asked as soon as we stepped into the ring.

"He's... not doing well," I said, turning my eyes down to the pearly white floor.

"We can finish this fast then you can go see him," said a pink haired girl. Her eyes widened as soon as she saw Dan. "You're..."

Another one? Does she know Danmall?

"No... you're not him," she muttered. "But... I why do you look just like..."

"I-it's just like with that guy," Dan said, furrowing his brow.

"Who does Dan resemble?" Vita asked.

"A boy who is no longer alive," the pink haired girl said. "I didn't know him well, though." She narrowed her eyes at him. "You're an abysmal..."

Dan's eyes widened. "W-what?"

"You aren't from this realm, nor Wynaga. Not even Zionia."

I stepped in front of my big brother. "How could you tell?"

She chuckled. "That's a secret. Though if you win, I might tell you."