Four

That memory was one of the best ones that I've had with Mark. It always made me smile. I sat with him at the booth, occasionally glancing up at him while he wasn't looking. I caught him doing the same to me a couple of times. It was like a game. I would look, he would look. We locked eyes and he smiled at me. I looked down, blushing.

He lightly kicked my foot, which made me look at him. He looked up at the ceiling as if he did nothing. I rolled my eyes and leaned back in the booth. We used to play these little games all the time. Wow, there I go, saying used to. It's almost like I was l mourning what once was. Almost like I wanted it back... No, I have Jake now. I can't even think about cheating because id be the biggest bitch. I wouldn't even be able to forgive myself if I cheated. Let alone think of the ignorance that Jakes family would hold on me... I pushed that thought aside and looked at Mark. He was staring at me intently. Like he was trying to read my mind.

"What are you staring at?" I asked.

"You. You're thinking about something, aren't you?" he asked.

"Well, yeah.. Just about jake." I said plainly. I wasn't about to lie to him.

"Oh. If you don't mind me prying... What about him?" he asked. Oh, I minded.

"Well," I stopped myself before I could tell him. Did I really want to tell him that I actually thought about cheating on jake for just a split second? "okay... I just want to ask you a question..."

He nodded, telling me to ask.

"Do you still have feelings for me?" I asked slowly.

He stared at me for a moment, his face giving off no expression whatsoever. I couldn't tell if he was totally devastated that I'd asked that question or totally excited. He still didn't speak. I grew tired of waiting. "Well?" I asked again, more demanding than before.

"Um... that's kind of a tough question to answer... But yes.. I do." He finally said. His answer made me look down.

"What kind of feelings?" I mumbled.

He didn't answer me. Not for about five minutes. And in that five minutes of silence I just stared at my lap. He finally spoke with a serious tone in his voice that meant he wasn't kidding. But he was also quiet, as if the subject hurt him to talk about. He took a deep breath and said, "The kind where I miss being able to hold you and kiss your forehead when you're feeling sick. The kind where i spend my nights restless because I can't bear to think of you not being there with me. You know, after you left me, I cried. I'm not going to sit here and say that I didn't. I loved you. I still do. So yes, I still have feelings for you. Who wouldn't? You're stunning. I love every aspect about you. Who couldn't love the little games we play. They're stupid and lovey dovey but we do them. And God help me, I still love you."

The silence after he said that was unnerving. I didn't know how I felt. Maybe I felt like crying because I brought it up. I also, in contrast, felt so relieved that he had said that.

By this point, the waiter (who had been eyeing me the whole night) had came back with the check. He started to look me up and down, which I could tell without looking up at him. I could always feel when people were staring at me.

His approach wasn't even slightly subtle. "Hey, are you seeing anyone? Maybe you and I could..." The waiter started, but was stopped by Mark grabbing my hand.

"Hey, asshole. She's mine. Fuck off." Mark said. I gasped quietly but decided to play along because this waiter was being a creep.

He held up is hands and walked off, laughing.

Mark continued to hold my hand as he said, "My god, the nerve of some people. He was gross."

I stared at him in awe. I'd never seen him like this. So protective over me. It made me feel... Wanted. I didn't know how else to describe it.

I kept looking at him. I finally snapped out of it when he squeezed my hand and said in a gentle voice, "hey, you okay Jewel..?" He used one of the old nicknames that he gave me. I nodded and exhaled heavily.

Like I mentioned before, I couldn't cheat on him, but I wasn't stopping myself from having thoughts. I could just push him against the wall and... Shit.