Eight

The kiss was both pleasantly surprising and a haunting memory of what once was. I couldn't go back to that place of being with him. But, at the same time, I couldn't let go. I couldn't stop kissing him. It just felt so natural to me.
His hands cupped my face with a sense of urgency, which I could sense in the way he kissed me. My arms wrapped around his neck and my fingers found their way into his hair as the kiss deepened.
The fact that we were making out in a car should have been a sign that I shouldn't be making out with Mark. In his fucking car.
He pulled away from the kiss and looked at me, studying my face for a reaction. When I didn't give him one, he just simply said, "I'm here for you. I always have been. I always will."
He turned and faced forward in the seat, buckling his seat belt. He started the car and I mindlessly put my seat belt on.
Mark started driving and my first instinct was to grab his hand and take it from the wheel to hold it. But, I had to stop myself. I wasn't sure what terms we were on just yet. Even though he just kissed me two fucking seconds ago.
How was I supposed to start this conversation.
Um, what the hell was that?
Or
Why the fuck did you do that?
I figured it was now or never, so I spoke up, "Mark... What was that?"
He didn't advert his eyes from the road but said, "I kissed you."
I rolled my eyes. I knew he was going to be a sarcastic asshole. "but why?"
"You were starting to think that nobody loved you, so I showed you that I still love you and that I'll always be there for you." He removed his right hand from the steering wheel and placed it on my mid thigh. This was new. He used to grab my hand, but the thigh?
His touch sent small shivers down my entire leg. I looked over at him and his expression didn't change. He just lightly squeezed my thigh in response.
"So... What does that mean for us?" I asked quietly.
"Oh, you mean what we are?"
I nod.
"Answer me one question." He said.
I nod again.
"Do you still have feelings for me?"
I looked at him and stared for a second. Did I? Shit, I think I did...
"yeah, I do..."
"Well..." He removed his hand off of my thigh and grabbed my hand, bringing it up to his lips. He mumbled against my hand, "would you like to try again? Start over... Be my girlfriend again?"
I swallowed and thought. Did I really want to make this mistake again? Go down this same beaten path?
"yes."