Ten

It's one thing to be nervous and another to be anxious. I was both. The day before at the panel, Mark spoke 94% of the time while I just answered a few questions and commented on some opinions. Very few times, though. It was going to be switched and I prayed to God that someone else was going to be up there with me besides Mark. He had hinted that it would either be Wade or Felix up there with us, but that was a very small maybe.
It was 12:06 pm.
"Ready?" Mark asked me from the living room. The "announcement" of showcasing me at the panel came at 11:40 am.
I shook my head even though he couldn't see me, "Um... It depends. Why do you ask?" I said, still in the bathroom. I had just put on makeup and was letting my hair air dry, which was taking exceptionally longer than usual.
"I want to take you out," he said plainly from the living room.
"Where?" I asked.
"For lunch,"
"I'm not hungry,"
When I said that, he was suddenly at the door, "what did you just say?"
I looked at him, "I'm not hungry," I repeated in a confused tone.
"How can you not be? You haven't eaten since 5 yesterday," he said, giving me a disapproving look.
I shrugged, "eh,"
"Eh?"
"Eh."
He sighed deeply and said, "get ready."
I scratched my nose with my middle finger, pointing it in his direction. He rolled his eyes when he caught on, "you're a child," he said and left the doorway.
"You're a child," I said in a deep voice, mocking him.
"Oh, stop it. You're just proving that you're five years old," he said.
I chuckled and started to put makeup on. I put on my foundation and picked up my eyeliner. I started to put it on my right eye when Mark came around the corner and squeezed my waist. I jumped and squeaked. My eyeliner went halfway up my face... I looked up at Mark and glared at him. His face went from playful to pale.
"I-i... Oh my god..." He said but then started laughing. What the fuck?!
"Why are you laughing, you fucking jerk!" I yelled louder than I meant to.
He stopped laughing and his face grew serious. "That's not funny! I was trying to put on my makeup so I wouldn't have to feel self conscious for once and now I can't fucking do that! Thanks a lot!" I said and slammed the door to the bathroom shut, locking it. Mark was knocking on the door quietly, begging me to open it. I scrubbed the eyeliner off of my eye and forehead vigorously, trying hard to remove it. Once I finally did, my face was red and raw. Mark, at this point, had almost stopped asking me to open the door. He would check to make sure I wasn't revisiting old habits... But that is another story for another time.
After I re-did my eyeliner, I felt bad because I honestly overreacted at that whole situation. I didn't have the courage to open the door just yet, so I talked through the door, "M-Mark...?" I said quietly. My voice was very timid and I sounded frightened.
"Yeah, what is it?" He replied. He sounded concerned. He was at the door. He never left the door.
"I'm sorry."
"Sorry for what, Julie?"
I didn't reply. That must have made him concerned because he tried to open the door even more. I sighed and said, "overreacting."
"You didn't. It's just you." He said.
"But that's what broke us up the first time!"
"No. You broke up with me."
"I-I... I know I did..." I said, pausing. What he just said hurt me. "I was an idiot and I didn't want you to have to deal with my tendency to overreact or have mood swings or..." My voice trailed off.
I opened the door and Mark looked at me.
His eyes moved to my forehead where I had rubbed the skin raw. I looked down as a reflex. Mark moved toward me, cupping my chin in his hand. He tilted my chin upward, making me look up at him. He looked into my eyes and then studied my face. "Hey. I can live with all of those things because I love you."
I didn't show any emotion. I wanted him to continue what he was saying.
"And... I can't live without you. Therefore, I choose to live with these things that you do. No matter what they are."
I looked down again, forcing him to remove his hand from my cheek. I was in no mood to have him say these things to me.. I decided that avoiding this situation by getting dressed would be the best solution.

***

"Your eyeliner looks banging today!" My YouTube friend, Sam, exclaimed as she pulled away from a hug, studying my face. We collabed all the time, but we never met in person. I recorded the moment that we met, saving it for a vlog.
"I hope so, this idiot over here fucking messed it up once." I said, pointing at Mark, who was conveniently talking to some fans.
Sam was there for me when I broke up with Mark the first time. I hadn't shared the news of jake with her yet, but I was about to.
"So. How's life with Mark been?" She asked.
"Pretty good so far. I can't say much because it's only been like a day." I say.
"You're lying! It's been longer than that. Tell me!"
"Okay, okay. We went out to dinner twice. Once to get aquatinted with each other, and then once when he asked me to be his... Partner through these events. I'd imagine that in between these events, we'll each go to our homes in either LA or Cincinnati."
"Ah.." She nodded, "How's jake?"
Shit. "Sam, he's gone. He died a few days ago..." I said solemnly.
"O-oh... I'm sorry..." She said and frowned. But, after a minute, she looked at me and smirked.
"What..?" I asked.
"You two are dating." She said, referring to mark and myself.
"Wait, what?" I asked, trying to confused.
"I can totally tell!"
"Sh! Don't be loud about it!"
She laughed, "you're such a prick. How long was jake... Gone before you started with markimoo?"
I giggled at the use of marks nickname, "Um... I'm not sure. Like a day or two. I feel like such a whore, oh my god."
"No! It's just that you move on quicker than other people!"
I looked at her, "no... I haven't moved on.. I just can't stand to be alone."
She nodded, "and, Julie, that's okay. It's understandable. Especially for you. It's only because I know how you are. So does Mark... Was he apprehensive about dating you so soon?"
I shrugged, "I mean, we kissed and he asked me out the day after, I think. But, these last two days have kind of been a blur."
She nodded, "you guys are cute. Does anyone know?"
I shook my head, "nobody knows that we even dated in high school,"
She nodded, "I won't tell too many people,"
"Sam!"
She laughed and Mark came over to us, "so. Who wants dinner?"