Chapter Twenty-Eight

Clawd's Point Of View

"Why am I just finding out about this?" Dracula asked.

I sighed. "Because I've been busy getting her to the hospital. I didn't know I had to call you before I made sure she was okay," I said.

"You should've told me as soon as she got to the hospital."

"I had a lot of paperwork to fill out before they would do anything with her. I haven't even been in the room for four minutes at this point. I called you as soon as I was able to," I said. "Besides, she's my daughter, not yours. I have the right to see her or know about her first. You're not the most important monster in this situation," I said.

"Who is, then, Clawd?" he asked.

"Nicole. Nicole is the most important monster," I said.

Dracula sighed. "You just have to understand this is difficult for me," he said.

"You have to understand this is even more difficult for me. She's my daughter. I found so many kids watching her burn in that acid, okay? I watched it. They were chanting, calling her all these horrible names. You weren't there like I was. I had to watch it and I had to listen to it. You didn't have to see that. You didn't have to hear that. But you're sitting here acting like you know everything there is to know," I said.

"I'm sorry, Clawd. I just... I can't lose my only granddaughter, okay? I've already lost my only daughter," he said.

"Trust me, I know how that card works, to. I lost my only father. I lost the only love of my life. And now my daughter is sitting in a hospital bed hooked up to life support. So, yes, I know all about the pity card you're currently trying to play," I said.

"Can I at least come to the hospital? Are you okay with that?" he asked.

"I'm fine with that. You're her grandfather, after all."

"Yeah, I know. I'll be there, soon, Clawd." Dracula ended the call.

I let out a breath and leaned forwards in the chair. "What're you doing to me, baby girl?" I asked in a whisper. "This is all my fault," I repeated for what felt like the hundredth time.

"Mr. Wolf?" I turned to find Narissa standing in the doorway. "Can I come in?"

"Of course."

She walked into the room and sat down in the chair next to me. "I'm really sorry this happened to her," she said.

"Well, at least you're okay," I said.

"Only because of you. If you hadn't come in when you did..."

"Both of you would be dead," I said, finishing the sentence for her.

"Yeah," she said quietly. "Have you heard anything about her, yet?"

"Nothing. They don't want me to be alone when they tell me whatever they need to tell me. But, the thing is, I'm always alone, even when I'm surrounded by other monsters," I said.

"Because the love of your life is still dead," Narissa said.

"Exactly. No one else seems to understand that," I said.

"I just know what it's like to feel like you're alone all the time, even when there are people around you. I know that feeling all too well," she said.

"You're ten. You shouldn't have to know that feeling," I said.

She shrugged. "My need to be friends with Nicole and Calvin made me know that feeling." She smiled. "I don't mind it. I would rather feel alone every day of my life than spend a day without Calvin or Nicole," she said.