04 | scarred encounters

Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I continue to look down, afraid of what he'll do next. His intense gaze doesn't help.

"Dammit woman, talk to me," Zach pulls at his hair in frustration; his eyes never leave my face. There is a hint of sadness in his voice but other than that, he sounds cynically mad.

I shake my head no, with my gaze still on the floor. Suddenly, he tips my chin with his index finger to make my eyes meet his.

"Is it true?" he grits out, "That you can't speak?"

I try to blink the unshed tears away and focus on my breathing. How does he know? Lily! Of course.

I look into his enraged green eyes and bob my head up and down. Finally, he knows. His jaw clenches at the revelation and his eyes search for something in mine, I don't know what though.

He releases my chin and my head again falls down, my gaze remains on my feet. I hold the towel to my chest tightly. His laboured breathing halts as he inhales deeply before pulling my body to him.

I never expected him to do this. To hug me. Scratch that, I never expected him to treat me like I hadn't crushed his heart.

His arms come around my waist and he holds me to his chest tightly and buries his head in the crook my neck. I feel tears stinging my eyes and for once, I let them out.

For once, I seek the comfort while I can.

For once, I cry silently into his chest while he holds me.

He doesn't say anything and that is comforting. But, things are so complicated. With me working in his company, it'll become even more complicated. He will basically be my boss.

I pull back after awhile. I don't meet his eyes.

"Dress up and let's get you to dinner, yeah?" he asks. I nod my head, still not looking at him. I walk to the closet and get inside, not missing how his eyes lingered around my exposed thighs and the scars present there. What could be going on inside his head?

I change into white pjs and walk outside. I find Zach sitting on the bed with his face buried in his hands. I put my hand on his shoulder and he jumps slightly.

"Let's go," Zach sighs and stands up. We walk to the kitchen and I realize that I now know the direction better. I have to get used to it, anyway.

We sit on the dining table, next to each other and as weird as it should have been, it doesn't feel weird. The atmosphere is strangely comfortable.

Lily along with another maid set food on the table and Zach forces me to eat more than I would like to. When we're done, my heart beats wildly.

I look at him and that is when I notice his attire. He has a white button down shirt on, sleeves rolled back exposing his forearms. Two of the top buttons are open and the muscled chest underneath peaks through the gap.

Zach clears his throat cockily and my eyes snap to his eyes. Heat creeps up my neck when I realize I got caught staring.

"So, what have you thought," he looks at me, struggling to hide the smirk on his lips.

I sigh softly and nod my head.

"Is that a yes?"

I nod my head again. My eyes widen when his lips form into a full blown smile showing his teeth. Cute.

"That's good to know," he says softly. I smile back and look at the table nervously. My attraction and feelings for him are coming back, but I know he will never want me again.

I just hope that these feelings will disappear. They will, right?

"So, about your, uh, about you not speaking, is it physical?" he bites his lips and puts his elbow on the table, his gaze fixated on my eyes. I gulp and shake my head no.

"Mental," he states. I nod my head.

"There must be a way for us to converse though," he mumbles. "How about writing, can you do that?"

I shrug unsurely. He stands up and walks outside the room only to return with a pen and notepad. He hands me those and walks to his seat.

I pick the pen with shaky hands. Just when the pen touches the paper, my brain shuts down, along with my breathing. I struggle to breath and Zach rushes to my side.

"Hey, it's okay. You don't have to." He kneels next to me and makes me look at his face. He cradles my face in his large hands and asks me to breathe. His eyebrows knit together in concern.

"Yeah, in, out. Easy. There you go," he says softly.

I tremble terribly and force the memories away. Abuse does have weird effects on people, doesn't it? I focus on my breathing.

By the look on Zach's face, I know he is about to ask me something. So, before he can, I stand up and walk away, wiping some stupid tears than ran down my cheeks.

Thankfully, I find the room. I enter, and close the door behind me. I flop on the bed and sigh.

I always craved a simple life. As a child, I'd always hoped that my parents would be loving and caring like my friends’. I'd give my best to my studies in the hope of getting their attention.

As a teen, I'd hoped to have great friends. But, being a cheerleader only attracted wannabe girls who didn't care about anyone but themselves.

But, I had Zach. He was the football team’s quarterback and I was a cheerleader. It was a cliché love story, the football quarterback and the cheerleader. He was perfect. We were perfect together. We were so in love. My family just had to snatch the only happiness I had away from me.

If only Zach knew.

Would things ever be normal with me? Probably not.

I fall back on the bed and try sleeping, keyword being 'try'. I give up after some hours and go outside to clear my head a little. The flip flops I wear make loud sounds against the floor in the eerie silence. I mindlessly walk around and unknowingly, finding myself outside a room.

I don't know what comes inside me, maybe it is my instincts. I put my hand on the doorknob and open the door.

My eyes widen at the room in front of me. Other than the fact that it's freakingly huge and everything looks so damn luxurious, a portrait hanging at the wall above the king sized bed makes my heart beat wildly in my chest.

I try to calm my heart and my feet take me to the edge of the bed. I gasp softly when I see my younger self in the portrait. I can hear a shower running in the background but I am too busy being shocked.

Why does Zach have my picture in his mansion? Most probably, his room?

Tears well up in my eyes when I see my younger self. I was eighteen at that time. With a white dress that came to my knees, I was laughing heartily. The memory of that day is as clear as day to me. I was laughing at one of the silly jokes Zach had told me and I didn't even know he had taken my photo.

I didn't have scars then.

The shower turns off and I hurry outside the room before he finds out. I close the door softly and speed walk to my room. I lay on my bed and sigh.

A glimmer of hope fills my heart and my eyes slowly close, sleep finally arrives.

The next morning, I wake up quite late. Once I sit down, I notice a white paper sitting next to my pillow. I open it curiously.

Your interview is scheduled for today. A black car is waiting outside and Kyle will drive you.
Be there by 10 am, sharp. Don't be late, I dislike tardiness Miss Sallow.

Zach

My head snaps to the right and I look at the wall clock, all traces of sleep disappear.

9.30

Oh no. I jump out of bed forgetting my bad knee completely. I growl in pain and fall back into bed. My eyes again find the clock.

9.32.

I drag myself to the bathroom. I am so going to be late.

 I am so going to be late