00 | scarred accidents

Btw, how did you find my story?
(Tags, Recommendations, etc?)

Btw, how did you find my story?(Tags, Recommendations, etc?)

Prologue

I feel the coolness of the knife on the side of my neck. Cold sweat runs down my spine and my eyes are wide in fear.

"Give me all your money, bitch, don't keep me waiting. I won't hesitate to slice your throat," the guy holding the knife croaks out. I cringe at his bad breath and almost gag.

I open my mouth but as expected, nothing comes out. He is in his fifties, I can say by his greying hair. And, thankfully, he is alone. I might be able to outrun him. But he has a knife, I have to be cautious.

"Then, I might as well take something else," he croaks out again, his voice slurring. His eyes darken with lust as they move around my body and I helplessly squirm in his hold. His other hand, which isn't holding my neck, runs down my front. I shiver in disgust when his finger trails down, pausing over my breasts and resting on my crotch.

I put my palm out, signaling him to wait.

I let my hand touch my jeans pocket, pretending to take out money. His eyes fall and his grip on the knife becomes loose. Sucking in a quick breath, I knee him in the crotch.

"Ow, bitch," he groans in agony and moves his hand to his balls, causing the knife to slice through the pink top, that almost looked maroon because it hadn't been washed for so long. The knife briefly skims on my skin, running from the side of my ribs to the middle of my navel.

It will add to my other scars.

I don't react to the pain, instead, I run for my life. The man falls to the ground, groaning and moaning in pain, and shouts profanities at me. My knees give up but I push myself. That causes a burning sensation in my calf muscles.

I slow down when I reach the opening of the alley and the small cafe comes to my view. I sigh softly when the smell of bread fills my nostrils. If only I had money to buy myself some.

So, I sit down next to the door, hoping that someone would take pity on me and give me something that will end the slicing pain in my tummy. Not eating for two whole days does that.

I shiver when a cold breeze hits me. The mornings are always chilly here and I can't wait for the sun to warm me up. An old woman walks to me and drops a loaf of bread. With a thankful smile, I feast on it.

A lucky morning it has been.

I spend the whole day in the same spot, afraid to go deeper into the alley. The cafe owner doesn't mind me next to the door, I'm quite thankful for that. Other shops don't tolerate poor, homeless people outside their shop.

Who would, right?

But the aroma of the baked goods and caffeine worsens my hunger. I should have saved some of the bread - I deeply regret it now.

Engrossed in my depressing thoughts, the day passes and night falls after ages. The streetlights are my only source of light as I walk through the dark alley to the far end where I have placed some cardboard. Not exactly comfy, but way better than the gravelly ground.

I hear footsteps, then a group of men coming towards me enters my eyesight. Their eyes focus on me and I hear them talking and pointing towards me. So, I turn around and walk away hastily. My heart starts beating wildly and I feel the flight-or-fight instinct kick in when I hear the footsteps getting heavier.

I start running full speed. The horns and beeps of vehicles hint that I am near to the highway. I'm not far, I can do it. I see the lights of the café turning off and I sigh in relief.

However, I can't seem to stop my legs and I end up going farther into the road. Then, I feel myself being hit by something huge. I am thrown to the ground, my whole body hurts at the contact. I hear voices and, after some time, I think I even hear sirens.

Someone kneels next to me but the pain doesn't let me concentrate on my surroundings. I feel myself being lifted by my waist. I squint my eyes to make out who it is.

My vision turns blurry and I hear incoherent words coming out of the stranger's mouth before black dots appear in my vision and darkness approaches me. I fight the darkness, but it consumes me anyway.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how our male lead made an entrance

*applause*