12 | scarred contracts

.

Chapter Twelve

.

I look away. From my peripheral vision, I see that Robert passes the brown file to Zach. Zach opens it curiously.

The next fifteen minutes are spent in silence except when Zach lets out grunts of surprise every now and then as he skims through the papers.

"Ten million dollars?" Zach lets out a laugh and looks at Robert in what I think is disgust. Not knowing what is happening, I look at Robert and find him smiling crookedly.

"She isn't worth it, eh?" Robert says in his croaky voice. His eyes momentarily look at me before moving back to Zach.

One thing is crystal clear- they are talking about me. Are they selling me or something? I sink back into the couch, ignoring my burning back.

"She's worth more, Robert. Like father, like daughter, I see. One hell of a money-hungry family you have, Ellen," Zach says and chuckles in disgust while looking at Robert though I know it's directed to me.

"What do you say, Mr Kane? Deal?" Robert asks hopefully.

Zach turns to look at me. His brown hair that is falling over his forehead is messed up. His green eyes look tired than ever, dark circle under his eyes show he didn't get his sleep. His striking face looks more drained than ever and it's just ten in the morning.

Could it be because- no. Couldn't be.

"Deal."

Robert laughs loudly, the kind of laugh that makes my spine tingle in fear. I look at Zach and glare at the paper, what is going on?

Ten million dollars for what?

Zach calls someone and a minute later, a guy dressed in black enter with a briefcase in his hand. He passes it to Robert and Robert opens it in glee.

"Holy-" Robert looks inside and his eyes have that dollar sign. I take a look inside and freeze at the amount.

Ten million dollars for what, again?

"So, about the marriage," Zach starts. The other guy walks outside and closes the door.

About.. what?

Marriage?

"That's on you, Mr Kane. You can do as you wish. Pleasure dealing with you." Robert stands with the briefcase in his hand and motions for me to follow him. With a smirk, he walks outside.

"I want to have a word with Ellen, in private." Robert halts and turns to look at me. With a silent warning, he leaves me behind. The door shuts.

I remain standing in front of the couch and Zach stands up before unbuttoning his tux and removing it. He walks to me with a predatory look in his eyes and I feel my stomach clenching.