Prologue

My name is Ivy Evans, I am 15 years old, I go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I am in Slytherin, I am a witch, my parents are dead.

The only thing I could do was repeat that phrase over and over in my head. I felt like if I stopped then I would lose control. I sat in Professor Dumbledore's office at the end of the school year. I was not going home this summer I had learned. That would be because I don't have a home anymore. My parents were murdered. No one knew who or why, but they were gone. The only information Dumbledore could give me was that my parents were killed by the Killing Curse. They died quickly and painlessly. That did not comfort me in the slightest.

"What do I do now?" I was able to mumble out. I had stopped listening to Dumbledore's rambling a while back. I just could not believe my parents, the people who raised me, the muggles that accepted what I was, were gone.

"You always have options, Miss Evans," Dumbledore stated. I had a feeling he had more to say to me. The way his sentences were almost open-ended.

He was looking me over with concern. Whatever else he had to say he was holding back due to the state of me. I had never looked more distraught in my life. I was typically a tough girl that rarely cried or let things get to me. I was known for being very detached. I was a Slytherin for god sakes, it's part of my character!

I could image my parents lying dead on the floor, no signs of being harmed. The only indicator that they were dead was the lifelessness in their eyes and their unmoving limbs. The only explanation for this was Avada Kedavra like Dumbledore had mentioned. Someone had come into my childhood home and killed my muggle parents for reasons unknown to me. I knew that He Who Should Not Be Named was back but killing a random set of muggles was unlike him or any of his followers. At least for now. From what I understood they were staying in the shadows dealing with Harry Potter exclusively.

This last year has been very difficult for the wizarding community especially at Hogwarts with Umbridge breathing down everyone's neck and the Minister of Magic not believing He Who Shall Not Be Named is back. A lot of people didn't believe Harry Potter and Dumbledore but there were whispers amongst the Slytherins. With many of my friends having family members that were once Death Eaters, kids started to talk. No one in Slytherin would be the first to admit that Harry Potter was right, but he's right.

"It must not be safe for me to go back to my home," I said mostly to myself. I had friends but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the summer with them. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends but most of them had possible Death Eater parents and that was not something I personally wanted to get involved with.

"Ivy, we will find something that works. Your place is not safe, and I think you should know why," Dumbledore stood up from his desk and went over to his pensieve. He went through his beautifully decorate cabinet of memories before choosing one and placing it into the basin.

"Why would anyone go after my family? They're muggles!" I asked agreeing with his proposal to explaining why my life had been turned upside down. He walked back to his desk and took a seat clearly waiting for the right time to show me whatever he had put in the pensieve.

"Have you ever heard of the Order of the Phoenix?" Dumbledore asked patiently.

"Order of the Phoenix?" I questioned, never hearing of the term.

"It's a group of wizards and witches that are fighting against Voldemort," Dumbledore clarified.

I responded with a nod. There was an actual opposition to the Death Eaters. I knew the Death Eater numbers were rising and any group of people that were trying to take on He Who Must Not Be Named was not going to win. Old Death Eaters are going back, my classmates have been talking about it for months. Their voices on edge, laced with worry for their families and themselves.