What I Once Was

'Red, orange, yellow, and evergreen leaves -some falling from high above trees-. A beautiful collage of color under an autumn sun. Words cannot describe the picturesque view before me as I sat upon the bench, mud on my shoes and pine needles in my-'   "EMMY!"

A hard force slammed into my back as my best friend tackle hugs me from behind. My pencil scrapped harshly across the page, a harsh black mark across otherwise neat letters. 'How annoying' I thought, narrowing my eyes at the mark. 

I sighed, leaning back into the extremely tight grip of my friend. "Hey Asia" I replied, vision becoming engulfed by her bright blonde hair. 'I wonder if she realizes how hard it is to breathe in her grip...' I pondered as she plopped down without my permission and started chatting away in an extremely one-sided conversation. Yet occasionally nodding and making one syllable noises always seems to appease her, Asia always likes to hear herself talk.

The black mark on my notebook was glaring, I stared back at it. It was probably possible to save this page of writing, but I don't particularly care. It wasn't even for the correct prompt for my creative writing classes. 

So I abandoned the paragraph and flipped to the next page, skipping the back due to the easily visible indent from my pencil. With a pencil in one hand, I began to write the beginning of the year introductory paragraph the teacher asked for.

   'My name is Emily Romano. I am a fifteen-year-old girl and my free time is spent writing and reading. My favorite genre is science fiction and I one day hope to write a bestselling sci-fi book that hopefully won't be ruined by a movie adaptation. Many features about myself are average at best but I really like my dark brown eyes which I've been told look black under the right lighting.
Other than that, there aren't very many things I find very impressive about myself. Even my writing I consider mediocre at best. Yet I still consider my red notebook my most prized possession as it was my first journal and was a gift from my grandfather before he passed away. I no longer use the notebook ever since I filled all the pages when I was nine. I hope that this year I will improve with my writing and keep my mom happy with a B average in school'

"Whatchu writing?" Asia asked, green eyes sparkling as she attempted to get a look at my notebook. I immediately slammed it shut, anxiety welling up in my chest at the thought of anyone reading it. 

Why? Because I am very self-conscious and introverted and probably will never publish anything because I won't have the confidence to. The only reason I even have a friend is that Asia walked up to me on the first day of school and refused to leave me alone.

"School thing" I mumbled into my scarf, hugging my journal to my chest. "Oh okay!" Asia chirped. She moved away thankfully but I would be lying if I said I wanted her to leave. Asia has been my only friend since I entered high school. Yeah, I'm lonely but not really with her around.

"So what do you think?" She tilted her head, teeth crooked as she smiled as though she expected me to answer.

My cheeks heated up as I realized I had no idea what she was asking about. Regardless of how little input it took to keep her talking I should've at least been paying attention! Why is she even friends with me?

I covered my mouth with my mustard yellow scarf and mumbled pathetically. Even I wasn't sure what I was saying at this point.

Asia giggled amusedly. Apparently, she was used to me not paying attention to her. 'I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that' I thought before turning my attention back to Asia. "About the otome game silly" 

I flinched as she tapped me on the nose, I hate when she does that. Yet oddly don't mind her rib breaking hugs, I really confuse myself sometimes. Speaking of confusing, "What's an otome game?"