Prologue

It was a chilled autumn day when something that would affect everything on then on would happen. Not that I had realized it at the time, nor would I for a long time. Turns out, it's hard to have decent foresight when you have no idea of the future.

The sky was clear, a typical sunny day that most would expect. A cold breeze blew through and yet most didn't have the mind to wear something warm. In fact, most people seemed to be in the mindset that it was still spring.

Alexander and I have decided to have an outing in the town today. Well, more 'Father' has told us to leave the estate for the day for some reason. Alexander had almost literally jumped at the chance to leave. I was more cautious, having rarely been let outside period, but Alex convinced me rather easily.

Why exactly 'Father' wanted us out for the day I have no idea. The only real event that I can think of was yesterday during our biweekly magic lesson with Uncle Antione. I'd needed help again and Uncle had gotten a bit closer -a lot closer- than needed. His hand had been around my waist, the other on my wrist.

That's when 'Father' had walked in on the lesson, maybe having wanted to see the garden that day. 'Father' had dismissed us but something had been off about him. There was this stormy look in his eyes, an odd set to his shoulders, and his words had seemed almost sharp.

I had asked Alex was 'Father' was talking about but he hadn't answered me. In fact, he'd seemed almost angry. Not at me, I hope, I don't think I did anything wrong. Neither had Uncle Antione I don't think.

Speaking of Magic, Alex and I have progressed a lot in that aspect too. From what I've seen, Alexander can now make those thin threads that Uncle Antione wanted and can even manipulate that shadows of others. The possibilities almost make me think of that one kind of Asia talked about once... Like Shikanara or something like that.

Meanwhile, I no longer really need to use hand motions to guide Kamala unless I want to do something that requires a lot of fine movement. Notus still gives me some trouble though. He always needs the hand motions and is the one most likely to act out when I'm emotional.

I guess it's a good thing Notus acts out instead of Kamala though. No one wants a repeat of the house incident just because I threw a tantrum. Not even Kamala, which might be the reason she doesn't react when I'm emotional? Maybe.

At the same time, whenever I use my magic I get this cold feeling under my eyes and I have trouble making any expression that isn't just this neutral one of vague displeasure. Not sure what that's about but I have some guesses.

By some guesses, I mean exactly one guess. Those black splotches that I have under and around my eyes? The same ones that had rather blended in with my dark lashes? Yeah, they seem to be getting bigger the more I use my magic. Now they kind of look like a natural eyeliner but with some speckles to either side of my eyes. Not extremely noticeable and easily covered by my hair but they're there.

Suddenly, I'm falling. "Woah, be careful!" Alexander catches me by the wrist before I hit the ground. Did I... I was so deep in thought I ran into him. I really need to pay more attention.

"Sorry Big Brother, it won't happen again." I give him one of those closed-eyed smiles that I've heard are supposed to be really cute in hopes he won't be mad. I always do this so he has to be at least frustrated.

When I open his eyes after a couple of minutes of him not saying anything, I can tell his cheeks are red in frustration. Yep, he's done with me now. Surprised this hasn't happened earlier, everyone gets like that eventually.

"Don't mention it, just be more careful." Alexander brushes me off and turns away, "Anyway, why don't you play here for a bit, Father wanted me to get something for him while we were out. I will be back soon." Then he starts to walk away.