Who I am

Okay, okay, where am I now? The room around me is completely different from before. My little body is now lying on a really squishy, too big bed that no child would ever need. It was really soft though and, despite the fact I just 'woke up', I still wanted to go back to sleep.

The only bad thing I had to say about it was that the sheets were a really disconcerting shade of pink. Like it hurt my eyes it was so bright and saturated. Then again, from what I knew, a baby couldn't really pick out colors for themselves.

So that meant the nice woman who I assume is my mother is to blame? Really? I almost didn't want it to be true.

With a sigh, I sat up on the bed. It took a lot less effort than before so I can only assume I was older than the last time I was 'awake'. Yay.

I crawled a marathon to get to the edge of the bed, seriously why was it so big? The bed was almost intimidatingly tall from my -wait how old am I?- size. But it wasn't nearly as bad as the one time I got the bright idea to jump from the balcony to the pool, and missed.

Asia's at fault for that one... oh wait. I'm never going to see her again, am I? No no, no time for tears. You knew you were never going to see Asia or your family ever again when you died, remember?...remember...

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, hunched over, and tried not to cry. Yet despite, my best efforts, I felt a few tears sliding down my cheeks. I missed them already.

No, no, I can't waste this life mourning for my last one. Can I? I can save the crying for when there aren't things to do. Like figuring out where I am for one.  So I furiously wiped the tears from my eyes. Turning the light pink and kind of sheer nightgown a slightly darker color.

With a huff, I pushed myself to the floor. The rug was fluffy under my feet and kind of cold. The floor kind of looked like it was made of stone though. I remember that the brick fireplace in my house had almost always been cold, so maybe the stone was similar? Maybe.

I took a few careful steps, only to be startled into falling when a woman let out a surprised gasp. I was quickly scooped off the floor and lifted to see the same woman from before.

My little child mouth reacted before I did, my face lighting up. "Ma!" I squeaked, and yes I mean squeaked. I sounded like a squeaky toy. A high pitched and annoying sort of voice I hated in my last like. Joy...

My...mother smiled softly at me, rubbing my face softly. She sat down on my comically large bed, pulling me into her lap. Mom's dress was fluffy from the- I think it's called a- petticoat she was wearing underneath.

The lace of her dressed itched against my skin as my new mom pulled me against her chest. She started humming a soft lullaby. I didn't know what it was, nor did I know the lyrics, yet it seemed oddly familiar.

Perhaps she sang it to me in the space of time between my lack of consciousness? Maybe? Sounds good enough to me.

Honestly though... that lullaby is... awfully calming. "I can't believe it has only been a year since you've entered this world." She murmured against my hair "It may not have been the best year of my life but you make it all better my little flower"

May not have been the best year? Wonder what that means. M...Mother pulled back her head and smiled down at me. Something in her eyes seemed sad, like back when I had first 'met' her.

I still didn't like that sad look. But I could do nothing to change it. So instead I simply hugged her as best as my one-year-old self could. Squeezing tightly as I could, I buried my head into her itchy, lace-covered chest.