Tragedy Strikes

To my frustration, my tutoring lessons made me unable to visit the library for about a week. Which meant I wasn't able to get any other information about fairies. Said lack of information bugged me all week.

It's not like I can ask anyone about them either, Alex admitted he doesn't know much, Mother is so distant now I don't even see her most days, 'Father' is constantly working on something, the Maids and Butlers are terrified of me still, I wouldn't even dream of asking the Crown Prince -who still insists on visiting once every other week-, and I'm not allowed to ask my tutors questions not pertaining to their subject.

Even if there was someone I could ask, I probably wouldn't. 'Cause if I did, they would ask about how I know -especially since I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to know-  and I can't tell them how I know! I don't want to betray Alex's trust.

Azeroth isn't much help either. You think that information from a direct source would be a good thing but nooooo, I can't even understand the guy! Even if I could, he never leaves Alex's shoulder long enough for me to ask.

Then, to further my annoyance, there was nothing that I could find about fairies in the library. Or at least, the main, two-floor library had nothing on them.

I've found nothing about them in the extended part of the library yet but who knows really. That place goes on forever by some magical means. Huh, now that I think about it, that part of the library isn't documented either. I wonder why...

Now, I have even more questions! Why aren't fairies anywhere in the library? Why have the magick weighing ceremony if fairies exist? How do fairies choose their humans? Is it magick based? How are fairies born? Are fairies just the manifestation of a person's magick or are they something more?

So many questions and no answers for them at all. For the first time, I'm actually interested in something from a fantasy setting and there are no answers to my questions! I think I might actually be getting angry over this. If that isn't new, I don't know what is.

Currently, I'm locked in my room. Why locked? Who knows, I just woke up and the door was locked for the first time in... ever?  I don't think it's ever been locked before at least.

Despite that dilemma, being in my room was rather boring. I've dressed in a nice light purple dress, read the books I could reach again, and now... I've just got nothing to do.

I'd write but there are no writing utensils in this room. Who thought to just lock a five-year-old in their room? Why even lock me in my room? It's not like I get in any trouble really.

An hour in and I was getting a bit hungry, the maids usually brought breakfast in about half an hour ago. What was taking them so long? Did it have something to do with the locked door?

Two hours and I was getting worried. The temperature in the room was increasing and I could swear I smelt smoke. Was something on fire? Was that why I was locked in my room? Did Asia say anything about a fire in her rant? I don't think so but then again I didn't pay her much attention.

Two and a half hours have passed since I woke up. The smoke has thickened in my room so I can actually see it. I've laid on the ground at this point to try and prevent too much smoke inhalation. Survey says that the windows are also locked.

Did someone lock me in my room on purpose? The door has never been locked before so maybe. Is... is this an attempt on my life? It would make sense. Create a fire in the kitchen, lock the Viscount's daughter's bedroom door, and let the 'unfortunate accident' unfold.

Am I going to die already??? At five-years-old this time? N-no! It can't be. I can't die so young! The villainess has to live till the story starts right??? Right?!?

For the first time since I've entered this otome game world, I think I might actually be realizing how real this actually is. I can feel the smoke burning my eyes, the door is disconcertingly warm when I press my hand against it, and my head is swimming.

The fire's migrated to the third floor already?!? How funny... a fire attribute-based family who can't put out a fire. Unless it's magical fire? Like the green fire the greeks had? The one that can't be distinguished?

Help... please... I don't want to die already... I can't even scream, the smoke makes it too dangerous... No one would hear me anyway... The rest of the house has probably evacuated by now.

Unless... Alexander! I hope he's okay, I've already died once and he doesn't need to experience that. He's too young to die, he can't!

A figure suddenly hits full tilt into my shoulder, bouncing off but not hitting the floor. It's...it's another fairy. Except this one looks like a small dark angel dressed in black. So more of a black blob really.

Where... where did he come from? The window and door are both locked. Did he just... appear? Is he my fairy? Why is he appearing now?

"Take my hand" My vision's too blurry to tell who it is, especially with the smoke, but it sounds like... Gabriel? How...how'd he get here? Does... is that fairy his? Probably...

I was suddenly dragged up and pressed against someone's chest, a little weight on my shoulder. His arms wrapped around me, keeping me secure as the smoke burned my lungs.

Suddenly, it felt like I was being pulled through a blanket. Everything was dark and pressure came from all sides. Not in a way that was really explainable but it was just there. The only thing that felt certain was the chest I was pressed against.

Then there was ground beneath me, and my knees gave out. Gabriel sucked in a breath and the weight left my shoulder. His grip was steady though.

Wow, the grass feels so nice and cool... when did my skin get so hot? When did I even touch the ground? Did Gabriel set me down? I can still feel his hands on my arms.

A bright light filled my vision... no two... one was a reddish color and the other seemed yellowish... maybe even a little blue. It was a nice light though, washing over me like walking into an air-conditioned room after being out in 100-degree weather.

Then as it faded, my sight did too. I just woke up but I feel just... so tired...

Is... that Gabriel? Is he speaking to me? No not just him... there seem to be more voices... three?...

Stay... awake? S...sorry Gabriel... sorry mysterious voices... it's just so tiring to keep my eyes open... is this what too much smoke inhalation does?

S...so....tired...

......

...

"Thank you"

"...for what?"

"Protecting me..."

"...no need..."

"It was my pleasure"