A Princely Interlude

It has been three days since the... 'incident'. I can remember what I was doing beforehand in perfect detail, just like everything else I do. It was nothing special but then again not much I do I see as special. Honestly, I hardly want to remember any of that frankly boring lesson. I could repeat every word that silly tutor said to me if I wished. Not that I paid him much attention.

Most things go about that manner. Truly I am the genius all claim me to be. I, Maximus Cecil Lockwood, am a true prodigy. No surprise considering who I am. What kind of prince would I be if I weren't so perfect? Not one deserving of my position, that is what.

Being a prodigy is rather boring though. It's all just so easy, too easy, boring really. Then again, I am used to it all being easy. It is expected for it to be easy. Well, it is expected for it to be easy for me at least. Most things are... all things are really.

For as long as I can remember, things have felt... gray. As boring, uncreative, and unoriginal as gray can be.  Not that my family is not... 'interesting' but they are predictable. It makes them quite boring to interact with, always doing as expected. Then again, so am I.

Boredom as been a constant in my life for as long as they have been gray. Playing as a child disinterests me, much like the other children I am constantly paraded around.  It is not as though I get much conversating around the castle other than the constant stream of praise from everyone. Other than my younger siblings but that is beside the point.

Then, however, things changed. I met her, purple as a lilac rose and shining like the stars. Belladonna Von Gallowen, my betrothed since birth. Getting along with her would be playing into my expectations yet I can't help but want to follow the lead.

When I met Belladonna, and admittedly long before so, I had expected her to be like all the others. I had expected someone gray, someone who I would end up having a detached relationship with, someone who wouldn't interest me. Long ago I accepted I would never choose my own love, I had hated my dear parents for it in fact. How wrong I was, oh how wrong I was.

Purple, Belladonna had purple eyes, was a beautiful color. Purple was not gray, how long has it been since something was not gray. Belladonna did not throw herself at me, nor did she stumble about twittering like a pigeon in a poor attempt at flirtation. Instead, she was purple. She barely even spoke to me. Nothing at all like I had expected.

Oddly enough, it was as though Belladonna did not wish to be around me at all. Someone seemed to truely dislike my presence. Which was new, unexpected. Belladonna was just so colorful. I felt hooked, like a man in a desert drinking his first sip of water in days.

Sadly, my parents do not wish for me to be near Belladonna. They call her rude, insulting even, for she did not accept my wish to dance. Not that I was even the one expressing the wish to dance.

It wasn't fair. I find something interesting and all my parents wish to do is take it away. Something colorful was in front of me and they wished to replace the blinders. It was annoying. How frustrating.

Then, once I had managed to secure a means of contacting Belladonna, someone had the gall to attempt to take her away from me. They wished to take her away from me forever. Some idiotic, no good assassin made an attempt on her life. How idiotic could those fire magicks be if they couldn't even put one out?

To make matters worse, the incompetent investigators in charge of the incident did not even capture the culprit. The idiot who hurt Belladonna was still out there, running free. That can not stand. Someone must be punished for attempting to take away what is mine.