I

The hospital was at its busiest.

Apparently some gang war or whatever had broken in a nearby club and the hospital Jisoo worked at, had the fortune of being the closest to the crime scene so that is why a dozen of gangsters crowded the wards with different levels of injuries making life harder for Jisoo and her co-workers.

It was especially worse for the Emergency Department* and Jisoo just had the luck of being an EM resident.* That meant all the ED personals had to prioritize this band of criminals and care for them until they could be taken by the authorities.

The guy she was currently attending wasn't even the worst-case but he sure moaned like he was on the verge of death. Jisoo had to softly murmur words of assurance to him while all she wanted was to smack him across the head. She had to remain professional and that meant being polite even to a gangster apparently.

"It's going to be alright. The bullet didn't go through your arm, fortunately, it just grazed it. You'll be as good as new in a few weeks." Jisoo mustered a forced smile on her face and looked at the guy, who might be younger than her but the lack of hair and multiple tattoos made him appear older.

"It doesn't matter. I'm going to be sent to jail anyway. The officers outside are just waiting for me to get bandaged, then they'll haul me to the nearest police station." He cried or rather whined, pouting in Jisoo's direction.

'Well, you should've thought that before joining a gang!' Jisoo almost spat but stopped herself and just gave the man a final nod. She was about to leave when he grabbed her wrist.

"You're really nice, please help me get out of here. I promise I won't ever cause trouble again." He spoke in a low and hushed tone so the officers outside couldn't hear him. "He'll kill me if he finds out I got caught!"

Jisoo saw the man shudder in fear as he desperately begged for her help.

"You're going to be with the police, nothing will happen." Jisoo tried to free her wrist from his vice-like grip.

"You don't know him! He has people everywhere, I'll be a dead man the moment I step into the station," Jisoo couldn't help but pity the younger man, clearly he had made some wrong decisions in life.

Jisoo knew how such decisions could ruin someone's life. She'd experienced the consequences of such decisions almost all her life.

The door opened and in stepped a man with a clipboard in his hand. He had been about to speak to Jisoo before his eyes fell on her wrist still gripped in the guy's hand, seated on the bed.

He looked at their hands for a moment, with an expressionless face before his eyes met Jisoo's and he smiled.

"How are his injuries, does he require surgery?" He continued with the same smile and Jisoo quickly pulled her wrist free from his grip, now that he was distracted.

"Aah, no. He's fine, the bullet just grazed his arm. I've prescribed him a few painkillers and antibiotics, he needs to get it checked in a week incase the wound gets infected. Though I think that's unlikely," Jisoo quickly turned professional. The man in front of her nodded.

"That's good then, makes it easier for us surgical residents." He smiled teasingly at Jisoo who rolled her eyes in return.

"I should let the officers know he's ready to be taken into custody. I was asked to make rounds and estimate how many of them require surgery and how many could be discharged today," The man explained, scribbling on the clipboard in his hand.

"Oh, I should get going then," Jisoo grabbed her equipment from the bed beside the guy.

"I have a lot of patients to look after-" The guy seems to finally realize what was going on as he jumped up from the bed and grabbed Jisoo's shoulders. She shrieked in response, fear gripping her chest.