XI

"The situation is not good, Doyoung." Johnny took a swig of his drink and sighed. He placed the glass to the side of his head. Hoping to relieve the dull, squeezing ache that was the start of a migraine.

"I just had a talk with some of my men and the amount of people who are ready to get us all killed is greater than you think." He looked up at the two men in front of him and shrugged with a sour expression on his face.

"You know they never liked us. The reason they gave Taeyong hell wasn't because they think he's incompetent, it's because of us. They don't approve of us. TY's list of made-men never sat well with them." Moon Taeil, the Consigliere who was not well liked himself, added solemnly. He belonged to the business class and though businessmen were criminals in their own right that still didn't gain him the respect he deserved in the mafia.

It was true that when Taeyong had chosen his button men he had disappointed many; among them was the Godfather. He wanted the closest men to his son to be under his thumb or people with mafia roots but Taeyong was a man who did not give two shits about what people thought. He didn't favour people because of their class or background. It was skill and loyalty that he looked for in men.

He formed NCT not based on how he was expected to by his father or other people but how he saw fit. He had people who were not Korean or were Half-Koreans like the Underboss, Suh Johnny join NCT and gave them the positions they deserved.

"That's because they know they can't control us. Which means they have no control over Taeyong who is their future don." Doyoung puffed his cigar, rolling it between his fingers.

"Whatever the reason. The turn of events is in their favour. With Taeyong out of the way, they can make someone of their liking sit on the seat. Someone whose reins are in their hands." Johnny began pouring himself another drink. He knew what he was insinuating and that the other two men clearly understood what he was hinting at.

"Someone like Xiaojun." Taeil was the one to voice out what was going through their heads. Xiaojun was an easy target for them. Being an Lee he was eligible to be the next heir in line. No one would ask any questions and the moment the Godfather passed away those scum would either run the family with him acting as their puppet or they would get rid of him completely.

"Ah fuck those rats." Doyoung scowled. If it were up to him he would go on a hunt and kill them all with his men but he knew he must not act alone. Especially not in such a dire situation.

"I've tried to hold meetings but these cunts don't wanna sit down with an American. The same men that were dying to get a word with me so they could get a hold of Taeyong now don't even wanna pick up my calls!" Johnny threw up his hands in disgust. His voice boomed inside the small office room barely contained by the soundproof walls. He was getting tipsy; otherwise he was not the one to lose his temper so easily. Taeil silently got up from his seat and took Johnny's glass away from him. He did not complain, they needed a sober Underboss.

"I can't reach them either. There's one person who could and would willingly take the job and that is Jaehyun," Johnny smirked at the mention of the young fellow. He was the perfect man for this job. Son of the Godfather's Underboss and the one that people approved of. "The other candidate could be Doyoung. They do respect his authority; he has made his name in the underworld." Taeil threw Doyoung a sideway glance. Doyoung started but Johnny beat him to it.

"Times like this I wish Taeyong had chosen you for this seat. You are doing a much better job and they would listen to you because you are a true mobster in their eyes. We haven't had any trouble from your side either." Johnny was right. Him and Jaehyun were the only one's apart from some of the Dreamies who were a part of the mafia even before joining NCT. Doyoung's father was infamous in the mafia world for reasons Doyoung would rather not talk about but still that made him well-respected by his peers.