X

"Mommy, am I doing this right?"

Jangmi quickly wiped her damp cheeks using her forearm and smiled affectionately at her daughter. "Yes, sweetie. You're doing such a good job!"

Her daughter gave her a toothy smile before focusing on her job again. Jangmi's heart felt like it would burst any moment. It was really hard for her to control her tears as she watched her baby helping her out and doing all the stuff a 9-year-old is least expected to do.

She could never forgive herself for what her daughter had to go through because of her.

"Be careful don't hurt yourself," Jangmi commented from her spot on the chair as she watched the little girl stand on her tippy toes to place the pot on the stove. "You know what? Just let me do it, I can't watch you getting hurt."

Jangmi tried to stand up but her fractured leg was unable to hold her weight and she fell to the floor with a painful jolt running through her body as she landed on her bad leg. Her daughter shrieked and ran to her side making the bowl topple beside the stove, spilling its contents everywhere.

"Mommy, are you OK?!" Her daughter cried and Jangmi patted her cheek with her bandaged hand.

"I am fine, my dear."

"You're hurt!" Her daughter sobbed; her big eyes glassy unable to stand her mother's pain.

Jangmi swallowed her pain for the sake of her daughter and smiled. "It's OK, I just lost my balance. It doesn't hurt that bad."

The little girl's lip quivered and tears stained her doe-like eyes, a sight that broke Jangmi. She cleared her throat and looked away. There was so much sorrow in those eyes. All because of her, she had done this to her own daughter. She was stuck here because of Jangmi.

"W - will you help me up?" Her daughter quickly wiped her cheeks with her sleeve before helping her up again.

Jangmi's leg throbbed as she tried to stand up but she hid her pain from her daughter. Once on her feet she looked down at her precious little daughter and swept the hair from her eyes. She looked at the state of the kitchen and her brows scrunched together in concern.

He would be here soon and if he saw this mess...

Maybe her daughter read her expression because she paled and started trembling looking around the kitchen herself. "Oh mommy! I've made a mess!"

"I'm so sorry! I'm sorry, I'll clean it right away!" She sobbed.

"It's OK, look at me baby," Jangmi grabbed her shoulders firmly and stopped her from shaking so badly. "We'll clean it together, it's my fault in the first place. I shouldn't have put you on such a spot."

"Now let's clean," She tapped her little nose and tied her hair in a bun. Putting aside her pain and getting to work.

It hadn't been that long and they had barely cleaned when they heard the jiggle of keys and the front door being opened. Jangmi looked up at the clock in horror, he was here early. She quickly picked up her daughter, silencing her with a finger as she tried to complain. She couldn't have her daughter be hurt.

"Shh Jisoo-ya! Hurry get in!" She opened one of the cabinets and hurried Jisoo inside. She was so small that she easily made it inside that tight space. "Don't make a sound please! Promise me you'll stay here!"

Jisoo nodded her face white as a sheet, her eyes widened with terror. Jangmi heart sank at the sight but she had no choice. She would die before she let that man get to her. She quickly closed the cabinet right as he heard him yell.

"Where are you, you slut?!"

"H - here!" She heard his loud footsteps as he entered the kitchen. "I - I was just making d - dinner..," Jangmi replied meekly but the moment his eyes fell on the mess behind her. She knew what was coming as his nostrils flared in rage.