VII

"Oh my god, look at him!" Jisoo exclaimed as she peered at the newborn inside the incubator.

The baby was the size of her palm!

Jisoo couldn't believe he'd made it, she kept staring at him as if any moment he'd stop breathing.

"He's doing fine, Jisoo." Sooyoung placed a hand on her shoulder from behind and comforted her.

Jisoo looked up at Sooyoung and frowned making Sooyoung give her a sad smile. "Really, he's a fighter he's made it out the worse. The accident was pretty bad but he made it."

Sooyoung was right. This baby had been through hell. His mother had been into a car accident, her car had been overturned as a consequence.

Another driving under influence case.

Jisoo's shift had just started and she hoped today would be a bit peaceful and there would be no emergency cases but there was no peace for the Emergency ward. Almost daily for at least once they'd have a critical case where they would have to watch their patients battle death.

Some days they made it, some days they didn't.

Just after a few moments from when she stepped inside the hospital she found out that there was an emergency at the OB/GYN ward and a young woman had been brought over. It was an unbooked pregnancy - as it is usually with emergencies at the Gynecology ward - the woman was five and a half months pregnant. It was her first pregnancy, and she had been rushed into the labour room, where she would stay for the upcoming 8 hours.

At the end the baby made it but sadly his mother didn't. They had tried their best and she believed them. Their OB/GYN ward was one of the best in the region but even then, they weren't able to save her.

She had survived long enough to deliver her baby. The moment she laid her eyes on him, she gave a slight smile and her heart stopped beating - a tale Sooyoung had told Jisoo which compelled her to visit the baby.

It was as if her soul was waiting to see him being brought into this world before it left her body. Jisoo felt so bad for him, he was so tiny and been through so much but his bad luck hadn't ended.

The drunk driver was his father.

He'd not only killed his wife but also put his newborn baby at a great risk and the worst of it all? He made it.

While his poor wife died giving birth to their son that piece of garbage had survived without any major injuries.

After further interrogation on this matter, they had found that he had been reported for domestic abuse by his wife and after finding about it, in a drunken rage he had tried to forcefully take her with him to 'teach her a lesson' but had collided with a truck due to the fact he was pissed drunk and couldn't handle the vehicle.

Fortunately the truck driver hadn't been hurt either.

The lone casualty of that accident was that poor woman, who had just wanted her way out of an abusive relationship but had instead lost her life because of it.

Jisoo clenched her fists in anger as tears blinded her vision. Sooyoung hooked her arms around her shoulders and hugged her.

"This poor baby..," Jisoo trailed looking up at her friend and found her just as grief stricken as herself.

"I know but we won't hand him over to that asshole, at least that's a relief."

"Where will he go?" Jisoo wiped her tears hurriedly and turned to Sooyoung.

"I don't know yet, I think they are tracking that woman's family right now but for the time being he'll stay with us until we make sure he's healthy enough to leave."