||9||

When the door opens, Evan is met by none other than Brock, who beams and pulls him in for a hug. "Evan! Long time no see, brother."

Evan laughs into his shoulder. "Missed you, Moo." And he means it. He's missed that positivity and friendly smile. Brock pulls away and looks him in the face, a smirk emerging. His jerks his head towards his living room and ushers for a cautious Evan to follow.

They walk into the room and are greeted with the sight of an undeniably attractive man. Sandy brown hair, a well-defined body and the most gorgeous chestnut eyes, the man has Evan captivated before he's even said a word.

"Evan, this is Jason. J, Evan." The alluring man stands up and shuffles over to Evan and Brock.

"Hello Evan." He lifts his gaze to Evan's and offers him a smile that is all pearly whites. Evan can do nothing but gawk. Brock nudges him gently, flashing him a look as though telling him to get his act together. Evan clears his throat.

"Hi. It's nice to meet you, Jason."

"You too. Call me J, everyone does."

"Alright, J." It comes out more flirtatiously than Evan had meant. What is wrong with him? Has he never seen a man before?

Brock claps his hands together. "Okay, so I booked this cute restaurant not far from here for you two. You're welcome." He checks his watch. "Your booking's for 7:30 by the way so you might want to hurry. Unless you both want to stand here and have casual eye sex in my living room, that's fine by me too." He looks between the two men.

Evan breaks their eye contact and coughs, feeling his face get inevitably warmer and sees J also turning red. He rubs the back of his neck before looking back up to Evan, flashing him another smile that knots his stomach. Fuck, he can't do this all night.

"Alright, out you go." Brock shoos them out of his house. "Have fun!"

Evan chuckles before turning to J. "We'll take my car?" He offers.

"Sure."

They climb in and drive off, following Evan's satnav. Evan feels J's eyes on him and he clears his throat. "So, J. How do you know Brock?"

"He's been a friend for years. We stumbled across each other and just hit it off. How about you?"

"A similar story. Met him over the internet and we're still friends." He looks over to J, who is smiling at the teddy bear hanging from his rearview mirror. J reaches over and turns it to face himself.

"Nice bear."

"Don't judge me. A friend gave it to me for Christmas one year. He loves teddy bears and got one for me."

"Is he my competition?"

"What?"

"Your friend. It sounds like you think about him a lot."

Evan clears his throat. "I do, but he's my best friend." He readjusts his seat belt and blinks rapidly. Now is not the time to think about Delirious. "Tell me about yourself."

J seems taken aback by Evan's open question before he glances out the window. "Let me see." He taps his chin. "I like dogs. I have a pitbull and I don't understand why people are afraid of them. She is the most amazing friend I could ever ask for and is the most adorable thing ever. I love her."

Evan spares a look at J, who so clearly means every word he is saying. Seeing him talk about something he loves somehow makes him even more attractive. "Don't worry," Evan smiles at his companion. "I like all dogs, pitbulls included. I'm sure your dog is wonderful." J beams at him.

"Your turn. Tell me about you." He rests his chin in his hand and gazes at Evan, who laughs.

"Well, though I like dogs, I myself am a cat person." In his peripheral vision, he sees J's mouth fall open in mock horror.

"If I'd known that, I would never have agreed to this date!" He lets out a laugh that, to Evan, sounds almost like Delirious for a split second and where it would normally hurt, Evan feels a warmth rise in his chest instead.

It's okay. J isn't Delirious and he doesn't have to be to make him happy. Evan smiles to himself and instead joins in with the laughter that, though not Delirious', sounds warm too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unrequited is number 9 in #h2ovanoss? I'm beyond bewildered and grateful.

Thank you all so so much for the reads, votes and comments <3 <3

~LC