~6~

Celestine

It's been two weeks since Alex gave me a ride home, and I feel like I've been abusing her offer to drive me to and from school, no matter how much she insists the four days I've ridden with her don't count as 'abusing the privilege'.

Truth be told, I would like to do it more...I love riding with her, I've even gotten used the dizzying height of her truck...and get excited when I hear it rumbling up the road. And she's always so happy to see me in the morning, despite David telling me she is far from a morning person.

As odd as it seems, I feel special whenever I get the opportunity, she always asks me questions about places I've been and things I like to do...I just hate that I end up babbling the whole time and take up the entire conversation. I like hearing her husky voice, and her full bodied laugh that's so infectious. I just wish I could get her to talk more, but she has this weird way of tricking me into doing most of the talking...one of her many super powers.

Like making me forget what I'm thinking just by looking me in the eyes, or making my body feel warm and tingly just by touching me.

This time though, I'm going to get her to do more of the talking.

Mama had to leave a few days ago for a case that's been moved to a different county, and Mom's morning shift at the hospital starts the same time I need to be at school, so I'm riding with Alex today.

After going through my usual morning routine, and then eating my breakfast quickly, I get dressed in one of my flashier outfits. I layer a sheer, black long sleeve shirt over a black tank top, tucking both into my red high waisted tulle skirt that goes a little past my knees. I slip into my favorite oxford heels, the cream and black lace ups fitting perfectly with the rest of my outfit.

I even put a little extra effort into my hair and make up today, putting my hair into a high ponytail and using a curling iron to tame my wild curls, leaving a few out to frame my face. I then move on to my makeup, using more than I usually do. I go with a glittery smokey eye with winged eyeliner, and dark red lipstick.

I finish up by putting in a pair of red rose studs and black hoop earrings, and put my gold heart locket around my neck.

At this point I'm rushing to finish getting everything ready, wanting everything to be perfect before she shows up. She actually texted me a few minutes ago saying that she overslept a little and would be a bit late, so I decided to use the extra time to do something special.

I take my things downstairs quickly and head to the kitchen, grabbing some of the leftover eggs and bacon my mom cooked us for breakfast and putting them on a plate before taking out a plain bagel and popping in the toaster. I head to the fridge to grab the miracle whip and a slice of cheese, then grab a butter knife from the drawer.

"Coming back for seconds sweetie?"

I jump at the sound of Mom's voice, turns to see her standing in the entrance to the kitchen with a grin on her face.

"No, my friend is running a bit late, so I figured I'd make her some breakfast since she probably didn't have time to fix it for herself." I explain, and she smiles wider.

"You're a good friend, I'm sure she'll appreciate it...how does she like her coffee?"

"Black." I murmur, carefully taking the bagel out so I don't burn my fingers. I quickly start assembling the sandwich as mom pours some black coffee into two thermoses.

"A girl after my own heart." She chuckles, setting one of them next to the sandwich I wrapped up in paper towels.

"So when exactly are we gonna meet this friend of yours?" She asks, and I bite my lip.