23| 3 Steps

Kaycee's POV

i cheered as i watched my friends dance with their significant others. they looked like they were having so much fun and i was thankful for it. it meant everything to me that they were happy for the first time since the talent show incident. it was hard for all of us seeing each other sulking over guys that made us feel like shit at that moment.

jadyn and i were currently at the booth we claimed drinking slushies and talking. Sean was in the bathroom fortunately. i know what you're thinking. 'why'd you do that to him?', 'i thought you hated him?', 'what was your motive?'

well let me explain it.

i wanted to know if i could trust him. i'd be lying if i said i didn't miss sean. i did, but it was hard to let him in when his motive was to get in my pants. so that's when i decided to pull a pop quiz on his ass. i wanted to see if he'd break then, to see if he'd take advantage of me even though we weren't on the best terms. i honestly didn't know what to expect from him when i did it, but the ending result was pretty...comforting? i could tell that he was being honest by how worked up he was and it was evident in his eyes. it was a relief knowing that i didn't fall for a guy that just wanted me for sex. his words made me more willing to work this tension out. they were reassuring in a way.

speaking of the devil, sean and julian came back to the table with baskets in hand. both sat on each side of us and slid over a basket. in the four baskets were loaded fries, buffalo nuggets, celery, and mozzerella sticks with different dipping sauces on the sides. "thank you, gents. we were starving!" jadyn said smiling in thanks. i nodded my head in agreement while popping a spicy chicken nugget in my mouth. "no problem, friends." julian said resting his arms on the top of the booth behind him. 

after an hour of making jokes and eating with everyone, nat and jadyn convinced me to join them on the dance floor. i looked around the table for sean since we had to stay together only to see that he was no where to be found. i bent down to julian to ask where he was. "i think he went to the bathroom again. i saw him go in that direction. the boy's got a weird bladder." he shrugged. i nodded and went to the dance floor where the girls were dancing and laughing with each other. he'll be near me when he comes back.

i strolled happily over to my friends, beginning to dance after finding the rhythm of the song. we swayed our hips and moved smoothly to the music, hitting every beat. not taking it seriously, we broke out weird dance moves that only each other would know and hyped each other up jokingly. "get it, rice!" taylor cheered with a wide smile.

i was having the time of my life til my friends slowly stopped dancing one by one. "what's wrong, loves?" i asked halting my movements. something flashed in their eyes, a powerful glint.

"kayc, why don't we go outside and get some fresh air, yeah?" tahani asked, gently grabbing my arm. she began guiding me away from the girls but i quickly stopped her. i giggled at how fidgety she was, attempting to rush me to the exit. "wait, t. i need to use the bathro-" i turned around in the direction to them. my smile faltered as i saw the action that was being done in the distance.

sean had his lips pressed against some girl's. she was up against the wall with her hand on the back of his neck, his body clung to hers. "kayc," jadyn said softly with a sympathetic look. i scoffed and shook my head disdainfully. they quickly rushed me back to the table and we fell silent while listening to the guys' conversation. why am i not surprised?

noticing our silence, the boys stopped talking. they looked at us questionably, but none of us said anything. sean came to the table with swollen lips and messy hair, sitting right next to me. "sorry, guys. long bathroom line. what'd i miss?"