27| Three Not So Empty Words

Kaycee's POV

"1! 2! 3! happy birthday to you! happy birthday to you! happy birthday dear kaycee rice! happy birthday to you!"

i woke up to multiple voices singing the well-known tune. my eyes opened to see all of my friends and family singing with wide smiles on their faces. i smiled as they finished their add-ons to the song. i clapped for them as i sat up. "happy birthday!" they all said simultaneously.

"thank you, loves!" i said standing up and hugging them all one by one.

"get ready! we have a long day ahead of us. first a big breakfast, shopping, pool, and mani-pedis-" tahani rambled.

"what about school?" i asked raising an eyebrow. she rolled her eyes. "i was trying to skip that part but you just had to bring it up!" tahani said playfully. i got out of bed and grabbed some clothes out of my closet. the guys and my parents left the room while the girls stayed and helped me pick out an outfit.

"so what do you want to wear? i'm thinking not too basic, not too dressy. maybe a nice halter top and ripped jeans, cute weirdo hat on top and-" taylor rambled then gasped. "ripped jean jacket--denim on denim, straighten the hair! ugh, you'll look hot!" she said grabbing the clothing out of my closet. i giggled at her excitement and just went into the bathroom to take a quick shower and brush my teeth.

after about 15 minutes, i exited the bathroom in my undergarments. the girls seemed to be talking about something, but quickly stopped when i came into sight. i shrugged it off and threw on the clothes with my 13 nike shoes. we all went downstairs together to join the others for breakfast. it smelled delicious. i sat next to jadyn and dug into my premade plate of food.

it tasted heavenly. "mom, this tastes amazing. this must've taken hours to make." i said smiling at her thankfully. she wiped her mouth then looked at me. "oh sweetie, i didn't make this." she said smiling in amusement while shaking her head.

"dad?" i said looking at him expectantly. he shook his head while biting into a piece of bacon. i looked to my siblings and knowing they don't cook and neither did any of my friends except...

"sean." i said then looked at everyone. they all stuffed their mouths refusing to talk. i stood from my chair and walked out of the house, down the street and to sean's. i rang the doorbell waiting for someone to answer. i wanted to thank him for the breakfast. it's been a week since the fight between him and gabe. we hadn't spoken or danced with each other since that day. did i want to? more than anything. 'why didn't you?' you may be asking. truth be told, i was scared. i wanted him back in my life the way he used to be, but i knew there was a possibility that we would get in another fight over even more bullshit.

the truth was that i was still gonna care for him no matter what he did. no matter what we've been through, i still wanted him by my side. i still wanted to be connected to him in a way, just not as his past. i noticed throughout the week how aloof he'd been, physically and emotionally. he'd been absent for majority of the week. when i was home, i'd barely see him step out the house. he wouldn't come to lunch either. in rehearsals while everyone would be goofing around or coming up with choreo for their own entertainment, he'd be lost in his phone. he also appeared to be tired, as if he wasn't getting enough sleep.

the door swung open to reveal a smiling mrs. lew. "kaycee! what a nice surprise. happy birthday, dear!" she greeted kindly, opening her arms to give me a hug.

"thank you so much, maya." i smiled giving her a hug. "how'd you know?" i asked cocking my head to the side in confusion. "well for one, did you forget you're a social media influencer? plus, sean's only been talking about you ever since you two met. it was hard to not pick up at least some of the information." she said smiling in amusement.