6.

I arrive at the party and I already love it . It's a small party of not over 30 people and everybody knows someone there . There is music , it's not loud and raving but its house music and all the great DJs are there , even black coffee.

The open floor adds to the charm of The Chibwantu House. It is made completely of stone and is now used mostly as a dance floor, although there is also a bar outside.

" Someone's enjoying the party ", Wanjeru says laughing and taking a sit next to me .

" I wonder who that is..." , I tease him .

His face drops, I've come to realise in my middle age that when a man's face gets like that he is about to get sentimental.

" Look Nana Banana , I know we ended badly but .... I want us to be friends again...."

" Hey it's not your fault Wanji , we where young , we made stupid choices..."

He holds my hand when we hear a feminine voice behind us .

"Wanji ...."

He instantly lets go and shalves his hands in his pocket . We both look back in unison . Behind us is Sakhwima and Atlas .

" Its about time the Lord and his Lady got here ..." , Wanji says standing up to hug them both .

Lord and his lady is Atlas dating Sakhwi? No. Gosh no .

He then grins at me .

" Nana Banana.... this is my bestfriend Chonde.... but we all just call him Atlas... and this is his annoying little sister , Sakhwima...... my fiancee ...." , he says ruffling her hair and laughing.

They look so cute together. Sakhwima is wearing a red gown made of soft, satiny fabric, long and loose. A semicircular, high collar made of silk-like materials heads the ankle-length robe. A puff of wind sweeps through her jet black hair from the open air .
I stand up and greet them both and then I turn to Wanji.

" we actually met earlier at-"

" The market ..... we met at the market" , Sakhwima cuts me off giving me a warning look .

" yeah , that's definitely where we met ..." , I say poorly masking my sarcasm. Thank God Wanzeru doesn't notice , he goes over to Sakhwi and kisses her on the cheek and says , " let me get you guys some drinks.."

Atlas shoots me a hot smile and says , " You look lovely Nana Banana..."

My cheeks flash . Keep it together Nthochi. You're 32 for crying out loud. How is it possible that it's been three decades of life and I still can't handle a crush . Chonde laughs and Sakhwima joins him . I frown in deep humiliation.

" I should compliment you more often then ... " , he says with a playful smile .

" why doesn't Wanji know about You guys going to therapy?..." , I say . Everyone suddenly looks uncomfortable.

" Because he's going to treat us differently if he knew what we are.... he can know about you ....but Zambians dont believe in mental health, Nthochi... it's a myth. Were all products of a toxic culture. A toxic culture in which we feel our physical appearance determines our self worth, rather than our good deeds and our kindness.A toxic culture that lets advertisements spread overconsumption by invoking greed, envy and feelings of entitlement. It encourages people to be selfish, to hoard rather than to help. It disrespects other cultures and nations, making their citizens appear less than human, undesirable, unworthy and fearsome".

"Besides its non of his business...", Atlas adds on .

" So Please Nana ..promise me you wont tell Wanji about us ?.." , Sakhwi says.

One day. Too many promises. Can I keep them all ?

" Tell Wanji what ? " , Wanzeru says with a laugh .

" That he's totally the hottest guy in Zambezi ..." , Sakhwi says playfully, flashing me a warning look.

Wanji laughs and hands us all our drinks .

" Ndingakhale ndivina ndi dona wanga wokongola, chonde? ...may I have a dance with the my pretty lady, please?" , Wanzeru says taking Sakhwima's hand .

She willingly leaves her drink at the table and makes her way to the dance floor . And I'm left with stunningly beautiful Chonde Phiri.

" you know you can stop staring at me thirsty-ly right ? .." , he says flashing me a sly grin.

My face totally drops . Quit embarassing yourself Nthochi. Damn.

He laughs really loud , that for a moment , everyone is staring at us and this just makes the flourishing anxiety in my stomach rise dramatically. I want to go home. 21.09 my watch reads .

" Hey Nana Banana.... I was just Kidding.... do you uhm... want to take a walk or something? ...."

I nodd my head and follow behind him in the road that leads to town .