8.

" I've got a surprise for you" , Chonde says excitedly as I walk into the kitchen. My mother is sitted right besides him as if they had been chatting .

Why does it look like my mother just met her long lost bestfriend? Why am I in my dinosaurs pajamas? Does my breath stink ? How does Chonde know where I live ?

" Go dress up... Chonde isn't going anywhere...." , my mother teases .

"Mayi!...." , I say as a wave of embarrassment rushes over my face.

" Go!!" , she says making gestures for me to go .

I get back and I find Mayi laughing and giggling at the sound of Atla's wisphers . Chonde gestures for mum to keep quiet about it and they pretend like nothing happened . What are they plotting against me ?

" Hey ..what's the surprise? " , I say .

" Were going for a Road trip ..." , he smirks .

He looks so cute wearing a white tee over some slacks , simple but cute. His hair is freshly combed and as usual he smells like freshly cut grass . I ...on the other hand am wearing a wearing a baggy vintage sunflower tshirt with black Jean's that are ripped at the knees.

" Really... where are we going?", I tell him nervously. I've never been on a road trip.

" it's a surprise " , he laughs .

***
Song : I like me better- Lauv 🌻 (link above)

" I like me better...when I'm with you ..." , Atlas sings, in the most horrendous/cutest voice I've ever heard . It's adorable, it really is .

" why are you smirking at me .. " , he says teasingly.

" you're singing it all wrong..." , I shoot back .

He turns on the radio full blast and sings even louder to irritate me . If you can't beat them join them . Right ?

" Nana .....Nana .... to be young and in love in newyork city ..... I like me better when I'm with you...uu" , we both laugh in unison.

The open road is filled with miles and miles of green wild trees and bumps on every turn . Some parts are smooth and some parts are the reason accidents take place in our country.

It's been hours and hours of driving, I think we've successfully ruined atleast ten songs , including Umpatefye by Tsean (Dance hall daddy) . I dont mean to brag. We both decide were hungry and it happens the fringilla happens to be the nearest place .
At the door itself the aroma of greasy and fatty farm fresh burgers greeted one's nose, promising a whole range of pleasures and a fully belly. Two smartly dressed waiters welcomed me with a toothy smile. In addition to the warm welcome, the haunting melodies reverberated in the perimeter of the restaurant in order to bid the eager eaters welcome. Orders were taken feverishly and then shouted across to the kitchen.

" let's go Chill by the swings ..." , Atlas says to me . Chill ??? Do thirty year olds even "Chill" anymore ?

" People will stare at us " , I tell him .

" so? .... let them..." , he shrugs . Looking at him now he looks 19 , and I feel 19 . He's staring at me with the biggest grin I've ever seen . Stop it . Oh butterfingers . I'm blushing .

We get to the swings and nobody is even caring about it. Atlas is sitting in the swing next to me .

" now tell me what you're so scared of when it comes to love .."

" excuse you ?..." , I laugh .

" you owe it to me ... I'm your boyfriend...."

" Fake ....fake boyfriend.." , I correct him .

" okay you still owe it to me as your fake boyfriend..." , he says crossing his arms across his chest .

" Well , I dated a guy , I thought he was the love of my life .... Maybe it was infatuation..I don't know... I did everything with him ..and when he left my life fell apart ... we dated for so long ... I didn't know how to live without him ... that's when my life started to fall apart ...."

" when you tried to commit suicide..."

" yeah ..."

" I don't want to fall in love ...."
" understandable... you're scared to get hurt and dissapointed again...."

I nod my head .

" what's your theory on love ..." ,I nudge him gently .

" you mean theories .." , he laughs .

" I'm an ex sex addict... I did alot of girls ... played around alot ... anyone could have me ... you know ? .. I feel disgusted just thinking about it... I was in a bad place.... mentally, physically and even spiritually .... then..."
" Then what..." , I urge him To go on.

" I met Someone...... and ended up falling in love.. she wasn't like everyone else.... she wouldn't let me touch her ... ever..
Coming from a background of porn and her a background of Christianity..I knew we would not last long .... so I had to let her go .... she was devastated by it .... but I had to get better somehow... you know ? ... I started going to church, therapy and praying more .... I feel so much better now...happier even. "

" Does she know ???" , I ask .

" It doesn't matter now ... I want her to be happy.... I'm scared I might lose control and hurt her .. but I do want to get married one day ... "

We finish the meal and get back in the car . I'm exhausted the sky is lit up with a billion stars , Atlas starts the car and we drive further down away from the main road.

" where are we going ? "

Did my weekend romance just turn into murder ? Am I starring in a
Stephen King novel ? I'm seriously freaking out.

" Chill out", he laughs , " I'm not going to kill you ...."

That's probably what a serial killer would say .

" Relax " , he says , " Trust me .."

He puts on the radio and " strawberries and cigarettes " by Troye sivan starts playing .

" long night and day dreams ..." ,I sing horrendously on top of my voice . My voice is super high pitched .
Atlas laughs, a really cheesy hearty laughter like he is choking .

" what?!", I frown at him .

" You look so cute like that.... "

" you bluff ..."
" bluff ? ... you talk really weirdly.. your vocabulary . ...vuto mukuganiza kuti ndinu mzungu..."

"Ine mzungu?" , I laugh.

" Inde kumene" , Atlas says with a wide grin as he stops the car .

I laugh.

" I'm a Westernized African..."

" aren't we all ?"
"Some more than others .."

" True . Come outside I want to show you something..."

I get outside the car and Atlas slides his hands over my eyes . His grip is gentle but my response is defensive.

I will not be the black girl that dies in a horror movie.