Chapter 18 - Worried Calian

Note : It's been such a long time since I've really gotten to know my characters and when I rechecked to see what Cal's full name was Calian.. I was like, Calian? Why am I so bad at names? Like honestly is someone here named Calian?

.

I looked away for just a few minutes and her tiny hands are gone. Where did she go? What if something bad happens to her? What does it take to make her act like a proper girl?? Doesn't she know that it's dangerous walking around alone, especially since she's a noble, and a princess at that!

"Mer, just where are you?"

I don't think she understands how worried I am. She doesn't understand how much I care. I don't want her to experience the same childhood I've been forced to go through and that's why I've been trying my best to clear the way for her.

Not to mention her obsession for finding men, just what is wrong? Does she lack a father figure in her heart so badly that she craves someone to love her like a father would? (Totally overthinking)

I checked everywhere.
I'm beginning to wonder if she was kidnapped, maybe she was smart and went to an inn somewhere, waiting for me? No, if she was smart, she wouldn't have run off on her own.

I sighed, waiting for the reports of my guards as they search through the inns for a little girl with black hair. Maybe they'll find her, it just needs some time. But I don't have time.

Mercia is a bit different from other children. She acts as if she's grown up and she understands more than she ever says. The look in her eyes as she sighs is sometimes melancholic, like she's thinking of someone, somewhere, that she very much loves but can never see again. It scares me, to not know what she's thinking, or who she's thinking.

She's very precious to me, someone I love. The only family that I have who hasn't planned to kill me somewhat. Being part of the royal family might sound like a dream come true for most people, but in actuality, it is not. They have unwritten rules and restrictions, boundaries and one that choke the very air out of your lungs.

If they chose to, there wouldn't even be a soul to call a friend.

The king might be a good at his duties, but not a good father. He rules with a temperament fit for an elderly but thankfully is blessed with capable subjects. His wives all fall to their knees to flatter him and yet he brings a child out of wedlock.

At first I wasn't going to warmly welcome the child, but after seeing her, so tiny and precious, all in her own world, it shook my heart. I may be just a child, but by thirteen it was expected a royal son to hold some responsibilities. So when I was seven, given the chance to care for an even smaller, unfortunate being, it broke the wall I put up in my heart and made me want to keep the child close.

She was interesting. A prodigy, a child and a loner. She has troubles connecting with the people around her, or struggles to find the correct actions. So, when I saw how delighted she was when I brought my friend over, how smitten she was with him, I was a bit jealous. She treats me badly sometimes, but I know she cares. So when I saw how my fiend broke her heart, my heart hurt for her.

I walked into a store further from the street and gave a courtesy smile to the shop keeper. "Good day, has there been a little girl with black hair spotted around here?"

"Little girl? No, I don't suppose so, but there was a girl brought to the back by the owner.. May I ask the relationship of you and the girl?" (A shopkeeper)

"She's my sister. I lost her when we were walking outside. Please, could I talk with the owner?"

The owner came and talked with me, asking me about the girl I was looking for and it seemed that the girl who was lost and stopped by in his shop matched my description. I felt relief immediately wishing away the fear and worry I was feeling, so much so that I felt lightheaded, but still decided to check if the girl was Mercia.

"There she is, playing with my son. Don't worry, she's completely fine." (Owner)

"Thank you, I don't know what would've happened if it weren't for you."

I stormed into the delightful talk she seemed to be having and pulled her away, ready to scold her for what she did, "How could you just disappear and calmly stay put here without a shred of worry? Do you just not care for me and the guards that have been searching for you all day long?"

"No, that... I was having a good time and I..I just lost track of time." (Mercia)

"That doesn't justify the fact that you got lost, even as the intelligent child that you are. YOU GOT LOST. Have you no shame?"

"Shut up! It's not like I wanted to be lost in the first place, I just-" (Mercia)

Before she finished talking, I pulled her in for a hug and breathed a sigh of relief. Cupping her chubby little face, I lightly said, "Don't you know how worried I've been? I thought I would never have found you. What should I do then? I can't lose you like that.."

She seems to understand the situation better now, as she looked down in defeat. She's feeling guilty, I thought. It never seems to amaze me how much of a child she can be sometimes.

"I never meant to worry you... I'm sorry. I should've held your hand so I wouldn't get lost." (Mercia)

I just can't stand seeing her look so down, so I teasingly asked, "Say, who's the kid over there? Already moving on from Tony, I see."

"Pssh, who needs Tony anyways. Vil is such a pure, cute child, plus his brother is much much nicer than you." (Mercia)

"Oh? You think I'm not nice enough?"