Chapter 23

Someone equally interesting? Who could it be... Maybe he met Cal again?

I guess my thoughts could be read from my face since he laughed and then pointed at me, "Who else would I be talking about but you?"

"No, it could be my brother.. or like, the roses in the garden, or even the birds you saw on your way here."

He looked so amused that his eyes curved up and his lips wouldn't stop smiling, "Do you undermine yourself so much that you'd place yourself below common birds?"

"Well, I wouldn't know, maybe you like birds better than humans."

"Oh? Then when it  happens, you'd better prepare the best looking birds out there for me to see." (Triel)

"Maybe I will."

He stood up abruptly and brushed off the dirt and leaves that stuck onto him from the bench. It seems like he wanted to leave and so I thought the conversation was over. Surprisingly, he turned back and took my hand, pulled me onto my feet and dragged me with him as he walked along the garden paths.

"What are you doing?"

"Can't you tell? I'm taking you out on a walk." (Triel)

"I don't want to go on a walk so let go of me!"

His grip was so secure that I couldn't brush his hand off. Stomping my feet on the ground, I let him drag me there in hopes he'll give up and let me go but he kept pulling me towards wherever it is he's going.

"Come on, it'd be fun. Don't you think a little fresh air can brighten your day? Besides, the sun is setting soon and I'm sure it'll be an amazing sight from here." (Triel)

"Triel-"

"Call me Tel. It's shorter and easier to call out. Try it." (Triel)

"Hmm, Tel.......?"

"Yeah? What's wrong?" (Triel)

"Could you let my hand go? I thought you hated the touch of women."

I could feel the hand holding mine stiffen and the boy who was chattering immediately became silent. I don't think it was such a good idea to bring that up..

"Hehe, that was a long time ago.. besides, do you qualify as a woman yet?" (Triel)

How could you? Let me just say that I've been older than you since you were in your mother's belly. I could even be older than your mother, even. I'm pretty sure the wives of high officials are young and beautiful, otherwise how did they get such handsome children?

"I don't get the purpose of you buttering up to me..."

"I'm not. Would you believe me if I said I was genuine?" (Triel)

No. No, I wouldn't. What do you gain from being nice to me?

"Well, think of it like this. I found a playmate and am having fun. You, Mercia, are my playmate." (Triel)

"I see..."

So I'm alike a toy? Why does that piss me off a bit? No, no, no, it's more likely that I'm still comparing him to the younger boy who was soft and cute and everything nice. Now he's like any other big headed brat that exists out there.

"Now, don't be disappointed. Maybe if you acted nicer, I'd think of you better?" (Triel)

"And why would she need you to think of her better?" (Cal)

Cal stomped into the picture and cleverly inserted himself into the conversation. I've noticed him trying to move me further away from Triel.

"Oh, it's been awhile hasn't it Calian? We used to meet more often but I guess we both got busy.." (Triel)

"And I'm sure you are still busy, aren't you? So why are you here, bothering my sister?" (Cal)

"I wasn't bothering her. She went with me by her own will." (Triel)

No, you dragged me here. But either way, I've noticed the tension between them and am itching for drama so I'll stay quiet and observe for now.

"My Merry wouldn't go with random strangers." (Cal)

"Well, suit yourself. The sun is setting and I'd rather enjoy it then bicker with you." (Triel)

Cal thought of what Triel said and pulled me closer to him to whisper,

"And you went with this guy? Let me tell you right now, he isn't like he was before.. some things have changed." (Cal)

"I know he's changed, but how is that related to me in any way?"

"Just don't be so comfortable with him, okay? I won't always be there to protect you." (Cal)

"What could be so dangerous?"

He sighed, then moved my head to look to the left where a group of bushes were situated.

"There were people monitoring him. Don't involve yourself in what you don't understand." (Cal)

I..

I don't know what to say. He didn't seem to mind my speechlessness and took pushed me to look at the sun setting.

With Triel on my left and Cal on my right and the setting sun as the background, I couldn't help but wonder.. have I somehow become the main character in a story?

But of course, that couldn't be true. The real main character, the one and only reserved angel in everyone's hearts, is the girl who has the world in the tips of her fingers.

The one who sits down on the grass with her brother accompanying her, their laughter being carried away with the wind, and the soft sunlight that seems to glitter on their faces.

That was the scene that I saw from atop the hill accompanied by someone I wasn't sure I could trust and a brother who I don't quite understand.

.

Okay, so, it's been a while. Also, did you see the changed cover for one of my books? I drew it myself XD

Also, this is getting more reads again I'm really happy!! Thank you all so much ❤️