Chapter 29 - Slippery

Okay, so it doesn't seem like I can pretend anymore. I've been staring at my cup of tea for almost ten minutes now and he doesn't seem to be interested in saying anything about himself anymore.

Why didn't I prepare more topics of conversation? Do you think he knows that I'm about to ask him if he's actually planning a big coup with my brother just because I caught their lies to each other and that they basically definitely know each other?

I mean, why should I even be nervous for? He's not gonna kill this adorable face. Okay no it's not working. This used to work as a pep talk whenever I'm nervous but ever since I've grown I'm really in need of another way to cheer myself up.

Like for example if I maybe slapped my cheeks like all those people in the tv do and-

"So, how much longer are you gonna stare at your cold tea?"

Ah I forgot this isn't slow motion and I'm actually thinking my thoughts in real time, how do those people in the movies do it? I expected myself to be thinking these thoughts while my eyes blink ever so slowly...

"Hello? Are you still there?"

"Ah, right! Yes, so.."

I zoned out again!

"Prince Frazier, I need to ask...did you know my brother prior to visiting the kingdom?"

He seemed disappointed somehow, as if these 10 or so minutes should have led to a much bigger question. Well I don't know what to say about that, I don't have anything interesting going on in my life right now.

"Well, I can tell he wasn't the one who told you. If he was, you wouldn't be here trying to figure out the nature of the relationship from me. So, how did you find out?"

How did I find out? Pfft, they were so obvious about it that I couldn't have NOT.

"You paid more attention to him, and he seemed awfully wary of you," and also specifically made me promise to stay away from you. Too bad promises were meant to be broken.

"Oh? So you think I didn't pay enough attention to all your other siblings? How could you think that of me? I've even specifically memorized their names and hair colors."

Is he being sarcastic and sassy? Really? Is this suddenly the 21st century again?

I cant help but laugh at that, suddenly I don't think he's so bad after all. Of course, other than the fact that he's plotting to overthrow his kingdom with the help of my brother.

Not confirmed yet but I'm calling it.

"That's the first time I saw you laugh. You should do it more often, the smile complements your beautiful ruby-like eyes."

Okay, this is going awkward places.

"So.. my question just now-"

"That sister I told you about, I really do feel like you two are similar. You both have unique senses of humor and she often leaves the conversation in silence."

His smiling face almost makes me feel like what he said wasn't an insult.

"We both have a unique sense of humor?" I'm glad I remind you of home, the least I can do is may your stay here comfortable, "I'm honoured to have something in common with a real princess, at least."

I have somehow switched my dialogue and thoughts, and I am now more nervous than ever. No, I know he is basically in a hostage situation in a different kingdom but something about him just feels intimidating. He's just sitting there but his aura could've suffocated me if he willed it to.

He raised his eyebrow, surprised by my response and lifted a corner of his lips, "You'd be thrilled to know then, that Aubrey really resembles you. The way you both speak as well, it isn't like any noble or commoner I've met."

Aubrey? Is that the name of the princess? It sounds so familiar somehow. No, it must've been some person I knew from before.

"Well, judging by your status, I don't think you've met many commoners, and I think I could be friends with Aubrey."

"She would have enjoyed your company as well."

He looked to the side all of a sudden and then sighed. I would think it was because of me if he hadn't walked away after hastily bidding me goodbye.

Or maybe it was because if me.

It's really hard to tell with these people, really. One day they're your enemy and the next, they're still your enemies! Point is, I have alot of enemies and too little allies so I wouldn't know whether he actually enjoyed talking to me, provided I stalled for more than ten minutes, or if he was pretending.

And then I heard footsteps from behind me and, expecting it to be Cal, I couldn't stop a smile from spreading but the condescending tone coming out from his voice prove that it wasn't.

"Oh, if it isn't the bastard. Why are you hanging around here? Didn't we give you enough room to do whatever bastardly things?"

Red hair, Chihuahua barks and the flashiest outfit ever.

"What brings you to this side of the castle, brother Rick?"

"Don't call me brother, I don't want to be associated with you at all."

I don't want to be associated with you either, but here we are. All because the king couldn't hold himself back.

"Why were you and the sleazy prince talking? I don't see why he would want to keep you as company."

"I have no answers to that, I too wonder why."

Why you're still here.

"Are you playing with me? When will you learn that you have no place here? The only reason we never kicked you out was because Bianca insisted."

No, the reason why I wasn't kicked out was because it isn't your place to kick me out. Really? This was the guy rumored to be the knights in shining armor?

"I don't understand the reason why you would approach me, then.."

"You're a disgrace to the family name and I don't understand why papa would keep you, with your evil black hair."

Evil?

"Don't bother answering. In any case, don't get closer to the prince. He wants to use you and I don't want the kingdom to fall because of your pathetic romance choices."

In a way the talk was really questionable because he just left without say anything else. The way hee came here and talked about how I shouldn't talk to the prince is really really shady. In fact the way he left was shady too.

He can't somehow just care about me all of a sudden so there must be a reason why he would do this, and I think the reason could be related to the way he pushed me away more than usual. He's right though, he left me alone all these years but somehow that's suspicious too.

Other than the fact that I've somehow acquired an evil lady label on my head, the obvious distrust towards the prince is making this all so legit.

Are Cal and Frazier actually planning on staging a coup?

Wait.

No way.

Frazier totally brushed away the question I asked about him!

.

(A/n) :
Okay I know what you're thinking. two updates in a week, nay, in a six day difference? Did something happened to the author or did she finally do her author duties and write another chapter?