Chapter 26.2 - Frazier Polit

Out of sight, out of mind. After leaving the ball, I felt my breathing soften and my feet lighter than before. Was I actually scared? Scared at how none of them seem to acknowledge my existence? Is it because I haven't had my debut?

No, it's because I'm an illegitimate daughter. (Or maybe because of the nerves, I've never been in front of so many people at once)

Ah, I hated the king before and now I hate him even more. At least protect me from those scornful gazes, at least give me a title to hide under or a knight who could protect me from all this mental insanity... yes, I know. Seems like a bit much to be complaining about, right? Imagine this, a small black ball in a pool of colorful ones, no matter how small it is, you can clearly see that the ball is different. They could see me but choose to ignore me, they know exactly who I am and don't want anything to do with me. I don't know if I should be happy that I wouldn't be bothered, but it just makes me think back to what Evan and Ethan once said. I was a nobody, even if I finished school, impress my tutors, get a standing in father's eyes, I would still be illegitimate. The nobles would not accept me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the royal couple -which is Mr.kingesquefather and one of the wives, probably the official one- bringing Bianca along to welcome the guests who all seem to be dying to get into her good graces. Understandable, especially with all the rumors that she is soon to be given off to some powerful neighboring kingdom's prince. On the other hand, it would be great if she chose that prince and finally put an end to all the people who want to curry favor with her (while using me as a sort of foil to her beauty) and the multitude of love struck gazes that stick to her as she wanders by.

A knightly prince, a beautiful night and a dance I'll never forget. Ah, all but a measly dream for this princess. It's hard to be feeling optimistic with all that's going on, considering there isn't much going on and everything I'm feeling is the result of my own thoughts, so the breeze passing by really helps me calm down. Footsteps gradually approach me, and I close my eyes to listen to the steady tapping of that person's feet, and as that person draws closer, I open my eyes and realize that I have never seen those shoes before. Yes, what a thought to be having in the middle of this scenic like picture where the beautiful abandoned princes meets a foreign prince. But I do enjoy a pair of good shoes, especially with the things I have to work with given the civilization era I'm in.. oh I'm letting my mind wander off again.

He slows down to a stop right beside me, and leans on the sculpted balcony railings to then flash me a smile. I didn't return it, however and chose to keep looking up to the stars. He's not dejected at all. What is he here for? I can see him bending his back a little and tilting his head up to the stars as well and softly say, "The stars look really mesmerizing today, doesn't it? I guess it must be to honor the princess' birthday."

"Oh, it must be that then," I agreed with him and spared any sort of joking tone. I can't relax my guard around him at all. If the blond brothers are arrogant with a big ego, then this guy here is a very cool and gentlemanly kind of guy. Which is why I don't understand why he approached me, in fact everyone's reactions to my illegitimate status seemed appropriate considering that it basically means the king had an affair but this guy here can't possibly not know that simple thing?

My reply seemed to confuse him a bit, " You're not jealous? She has everything that you do not. Instead of waiting here and crumbling away like a statue, why don't you use the situation to better some people's minds about you? Create a backing to support your reputation as a whole and wipe away your status as a bastard."

"I don't understand why you're telling me this. You're not from here, any sort of hmm..advice, let call it that. Any sort of advice you give to me could be viewed as an attempt against the royal family, as they themselves do not acknowledge me. Besides, I wouldn't want to run around trying to suck up to all the nasty parents of those bratty kids...as they said, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Of course, the last sentence was omitted.

He considered my words for a moment and laughed it off, "You're making this hard on purpose."

"Well, what do you hope to gain from talking to me?" In other words, what do you want?

Tilting his head to look at me, he said, "If I said I wanted to be your friend, would you believe me?"

No. Probably not. Why am I letting this guy who is obviously plotting something talk to me? Okay, nuff said I'm just in need of company right now. And anyways, the prince is handsome. The prince is handsome. The prince is handsome. Important things need to be said thrice. Jokes aside, he really does look like a prince, although I've heard rumors that he isn't the crown prince, which means he is likely to be thrown out of royalty, in which case being allied with this kingdom would give him some leverage and fighting power for the throne. Now why would he be friends with an insignificant me?

"What's wrong? Can't think of an answer?"

You know what? Why not. I needed some entertainment anyways,"Well, I can't be friends with someone whose name I do not know of."

His smile widens and he reaches out his hand towards me, "My name is Frazier Polit, nice to meet you."

.

Ignored, that's what mobs are? More like ignored, that's what this book is. Ha ha ha

Okay, I'm sorry and glad to say that I'm back. Because of corona the thing with my enrollment can't proceed much further and so I'm back here with a lot of free time. As you can see, my style of writing has changed a lot and I need to ask if you like this sort of tone better or if the previous all jokes less seriousness kind of tone fits this book more. In which case I would need to retrace my steps to sort of match the previous tones' tempo.

Another question is if you like having brackets at the back of someone's dialogue, and if you do, is it necessary for when a lot of people are talking only or on every piece of dialogue?

Thank you for reading.