seven

ON THE MORNING of halloween, corbyn made his first duty to break things off with aspen. they would meet in the frantzich backyard at 9:15 am sharp.
aspen was still braless in a tank top and shorts, without makeup when corbyn came over, which inevitably made him feel worse that she was that comfortable with him and he was about to break up with her after four months.
he settled into the lawn chair and sighed.
"aspen, i'm going to be honest with you–"
"you're gay, aren't you? that's okay, really, just as long as you weren't cheating on me. if it's jonah you're after, i'm your girl. look, he likes–"
"aspen! i'm not... i am breaking up with you."
"i knew it. were you cheating on me? 'cause i'll call jonah."
"no, i was not cheating on you."
aspen crossed her legs.
"you never said whether or not you were gay." she waggled her eyebrows, smile forming on her lips.
"i'm not... i do... i do like guys, but not a lot of people know that so, like, let's not spill the beans around school."
aspen made a motion like she was zipping her lips and locking it, then throwing away the key.
"your secret is safe with me," she lowered her voice to a whisper. "but is it jonah you're after? because i'm seriously the girl to go to."
corbyn laughed, shaking his head.
"it's not jo i'm after, but i'll keep that in mind. and hey, thanks for being so cool about this whole situation. i hope we can stay friends."
they both stood up, enveloping each other in a hug.
"of course. you're like my less protective big brother."
that night, jonah and corbyn sat still underneath the hands of harper and her best friend, alexis.
"so we have a skeleton and a zombie. who gave you those ideas?"
jonah and corbyn shared a look.
"aspen," they said in unison.
when harper and alexis were done, jonah and corbyn stood from their seats and went to the mirror.
corbyn immediately burst into laughter.
"you're so... skeleton."
"shut up, you're dead!"
"so're you!"
"quit lallygagging and set up your party, boys."
jonah and corbyn looked at each other in the mirror before laughing again.
they walked downstairs, glancing at the decorations aspen had already set up in corbyn's living room.
"what do you think'll happen if luke brought alcohol?"
jonah shrugged.
"we'd get drunk."
thirty two minutes and two phone calls later, nearly the entire junior class was fit inside corbyn's home.
many people reeked of beer, liquor and some even smelled like weed.
corbyn, though, smelled of all three. he'd been drinking since luke and his brother brought the alcohol, and he'd hit haley p's joint once or twice.
he pushed his way through the kids and their obnoxious costumes, searching for someone he knew.
"aspen," he gasped once he found her.
"hey, corbs, where you been? jonah's been looking for you."
aspen held one of her best friends steady with her arm as she looked around for jonah.
"i've been looking for him!"
"he's near the back door," she started as corbyn turned and began to walk towards the back door. "and hey, he's absolutely shitfaced, don't let him drink anymore."
"got it."
corbyn maneuvered his way through the crowds of people, hoping jonah would stay in one place.
he found jonah outside, leaning against the wall with a cup in each hand, each half empty.
"jo?"
"corbyn, oh my god, i was looking for you."
jonah pushed off of the wall, stumbling towards his best friend.
"dude, chill out."
corbyn grabbed the cups from jonah's hands.
"no more alcohol for you, bub."
jonah smiled.
"can we uh, can we go to the treehouse?"
corbyn sighed, smiling back at him.
"okay."
jonah grinned and started towards the ladder of the old treehouse.
his first attempt to climb it, his fingers slipped off.
he laughed and climbed, this time successfully. corbyn followed and sat down, watching jonah attempt to get comfortable on the ground.
"corbyn, can i ask you something?"
"shoot."
"can i kiss you?"
corbyn reeled back a bit, shocked.
"please? i've never kissed a guy," jonah whined.
corbyn stared at his best friend for a while.
"okay."
"for real?"
"i'm for real." jonah scooted close to corbyn, shaking his hands out.
before he could change his mind, he placed his hands on corbyn's cheeks and leaned in.
their lips collided and corbyn whimpered against jonah's lips almost immediately.
his hands found the back of jonah's neck. jonah pushed back against him, corbyn's mouth opening against his.
when he pulled away, corbyn just stared at him.
"shit."
jonah only smiled and closed his eyes.
"i'm sleepy, baby."
corbyn undoubtedly blushed as he watched jonah lean against the opposite wall of the treehouse.
he sat in the silence of his own thoughts as jonah drifted in and out of sleep through the party.
the next morning, corbyn climbed down from the treehouse and made his way into the house.
aspen lay on the couch, feet propped up on pillows.
"corbyn your mom– what happened? your face.. it's got white on it."
"oh, i'm-"
"you and jonah fucked!"
corbyn shushed her, eyes wide.
"we did not! we just uh, kissed."
"oh i knew you liked him, come sit down, tell me about it."

🤭🤭🤭!