sixteen

JONAH WASN'T JOKING about talking about talking to corbyn the next day, he decided. at ten thirty, he made his way across the hall.
corbyn was lying on his side, staring at the wall.
"hey, jo."
"hey, corbyn."
"can we talk?" corbyn sat up in bed.
"oh, that's actually what i was coming in here for."
"good, i guess." jonah sat down on his bed.
"you can go, uh, first."
"okay," jonah started. "i think– i know– your relationship with daniel is changing you for the worse."
corbyn remained silent, looking anywhere but directly at jonah.
"i know he's not the easiest person to stand up to, but it's like you're not doing anything to stop him from talking down to you. and i really don't mean to hurt you, bean, i just want the best for you. i want the best friend i had before daniel came into the picture."
corbyn laughed nervously, drumming his fingers against his legs.
"yeah, i know. i don't know how to break things off with daniel. i've thought about it, i've tried, even. but it's easier to talk to daniel when he's sober and it's rare for me, daniel and complete sobriety to be in one place at once."
jonah nodded.
"have you tried to do it over text?"
"well that's just an asshole move. i wouldn't want someone to break up with me over text."
"that's understandable, i guess, but would it not be considerably safer for you to not do it face to face?"
"maybe, but i don't wanna be rude."
"corbyn."
"what?"
"the last thing you should worry about is hurting daniel."
"just because daniel hurt me doesn't mean i have to hurt him, too."
"it seems like there's no way you can break things off with him and either not hurt him or not get hurt."
corbyn shrugged.
"the only thing i'm hoping for is to break up with him. consequences are consequences."
"what? did you say 'consequences are consequences?' corbyn, he's the main reason you've been so mopey recently."
corbyn sighed.
"god, jonah. you and i handle things differently, okay? maybe i wanna stay with daniel. maybe i do love him."
"i know that's not true, though."
"how would you know? how the hell would you know whether or not i love him?"
"because i know you. did you forget that i was the first person to talk to you eleven years ago?"
corbyn scoffed.
"i've never loved anybody. there's no way in hell you could know whether or not i love someone."
"you love your parents, you love aspen, you love me."
"jonah, the way– the way i love you is a lot different from the way i like—love—daniel."
for a second, it felt like jonah's heart stopped. he continued on.
"you've dated him for like a day, you can't claim love for him."
"don't be fucking stupid, jonah, it doesn't take long to fall in love with someone."
"and you would know? you just said you've never loved anyone."
corbyn crossed his arms over his chest.
"i don't wanna talk about this anymore."
"corbyn–"
"jonah. i'm serious, i don't wanna talk about it."
"fine. talk to you later?"
"yeah."
he watched jonah leave his room and close the door behind him. he kept his eyes glued to the door for a while before he sighed again. he lay back down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling.
he felt bad for what he'd said to jonah, but he wasn't going to take it back. he didn't exactly like being berated about being unable to break up with his boyfriend, nor did he like listening to his best friend talk shit about his boyfriend.
jonah though, couldn't get his mind off of what corbyn said. it shouldn't have hurt his feelings, it really shouldn't have.

the way it ends is so 🤢.
anyways 😎🤠 that was kinda uh upsetting ig u could say