eighteen

THE FIRST THING corbyn did the day after he got home was sit down with his parents.
"can i ask you guys something?"
"anything, sweetheart."
"go right ahead."
"what would be your best advice on breaking things off with someone?"
"breaking things off? who're you trying to break things off with?" saskia asked, glancing at her husband.
"daniel..."
"oh? what happened?"
corbyn shrugged.
"um, a lot. i think i've got feelings for somebody else, for starters. and he's not exactly the best boyfriend, especially when he's not sober, and that might as well be always."
ray furrowed his eyebrows, crossing his arms over his chest.
"and what do you mean by that?"
"well, like any drunk person, he gets to talking and accusing. he's just an asshole."
"corbyn!"
"i'm sorry, but that's all i could fit to his description."
"mhm," saskia said, thinking over the entire situation. "well, in the case that seavey's as much of an asshat as you're saying, you'd want to do it somewhere public. so when he is broken up with, he can't flip out."
"oh–"
"or do it over text, he can't flip out on you there."
"well, he knows where i live, where i go to school and where i spend most of time. plus, that would be rude. i wouldn't want to be broken up with over text, and you said yourself to treat others how you want to be treated."
ray shrugged.
"he obviously doesn't care about how he treats you, so why should you care?"
"because he's still a person, dad."
"so are you, he's still an asshole, isn't he?"
corbyn was quiet for a while.
"i guess you're right. but i'm
still not going to do it over text."
"so there, do it somewhere public, with at least four people in it."
corbyn nodded.
"yeah... great talk, thanks for the advice, guys. i think i'm gonna go ahead and unpack, though."
"anytime, sweetheart," saskia mumbled, patting her son's hand.
corbyn retreated upstairs and sat down on his bed, pulling out his phone and sending the text he never thought he'd have to send.

corbs ♥️
hey dani i think we should talk

dani
ok? talk.

corbs ♥️
no, talk talk. face to face.

dani
ill come over, when should i?

corbs ♥️
i don't want to do it at mine, meet me at the cafe 2 blocks from my house

dani
ok but why not yours

corbs ♥️
idk, i just don't want my parents imposing yk?

dani
k... when should i meet u?

corbs ♥️
at 4

dani
ok , see u then ig?

dani
love u

corbs ♥️
ditto.

corbyn was nervous, but oddly enough, he was more excited than the latter. he had two hours to unpack, get dressed and meet daniel.
at three thirty, he realized he had no idea what the hell he was going to say to daniel besides 'it's not working out.'
he paced in front of his bed, wanting nothing more than to tell daniel to forget it and that he loved him.
instead, he tore down the stairs in search of his parents. he found them in the kitchen.
"can i go to the café? the one with the cat?"
"with who?"
"uh, i'm meeting dani."
"alright, then. be back before your curfew, i guess."
"yeah, okay."
corbyn rushed back stairs, grabbed his phone and jacket.
"hey, mom, c–"
"yes, you can take the car."
he smiled for seemingly the first time since he'd been home. his phone then vibrated with a text.