College

Mike was waiting with El for his plane in the airport. The plane was going to take him to California then he's going take a taxi to Stanford University where he would his dorm. Jonathan as going to California anyway so he's driving Mike's car there then taking a plane back Jonathan had left two days ago so he'd be there when Mike got there. Yes, 18 year old Michael Wheeler was going to Stanford University for college so he could become a science teacher. Sadly, El was staying in Indiana for college. She was attending Indiana State University to become a Pediatrician. 

Mike currently had his arms wrapped tightly around his girlfriend of four and a half years. They swayed back and forth as they hugged each other tightly wishing they didn't have to leave each other. 

"It's not like we'll never see each other again." Mike whispered into her hair. El buried her face deeper into Mike's chest and hugged him tighter around his waist.

"I know but I don't want you to leave." She whispered back, her voice muffled by his shirt.

"I'll be back for holidays." Mike reassured.

"I know but I just wish you could stay in Indiana." El said, a tear escaping her eye. Mike placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head.

"I know but I want to go to Stanford. I have since I was in sixth grade." Mike said, now looking into her glassy eyes. 

"I know and you should follow that dream." El smiled as her eyes pooled with tears. "I'm scared, Mike."

"Scared?" He put a stray hair behind her ear.  "Scared about what?" His eyes showed nothing but love and concern.

"W-what if you move on?" El asked. "Find someone better? Less like a freak?" 

Mike grabbed her shoulders and gently shook her. "Eleven Hopper. I will never find someone better than you. I want to marry you when the time is right and grow old with you. Do you understand?" 

El smiled, eyes watery, and nodded. "I understand." 

"Good." Mike leaned in and pressed his lips to her. His arms went around her waist while hers went around his neck. "Flight 58. Departure in five minutes. Flight 58." They pulled away and looked at each other, tears running down their faces. 

"I guess this is goodbye until Thanksgiving." El said trying to keep herself from breaking down in public.

"Not goodbye. See you later." Mike replied while he pecked her lips.

"See you later, Mike." El smiled. "I love you."

"I love you, too, El." Mike smiled. 

"Flight 58. Departure in two minutes. Flight 58." Mike picked up his luggage and gave El a side hug before walking towards his boarding. 

Line break--

Mike found his seat on the plane and sat down with a sigh and leaned his head against the window. Mike let a few tears escape. The look on El's face when he looked back at her right before he boarded. A look of pure sadness but she managed a smile.

Mike heard someone sit next to him and he wiped his tears away. He hugged his grey sweatshirt closer to his body and tried to make his look of vulnerability go away. He covered his mouth as he let out a sob, trying to at least make the sound of it quieter. 

He hasn't been away from El for more than two weeks since the day she came back to him when they were only eighth graders. He doesn't know how he's going to manage being without her- except for holidays and yearly visits- for four whole years! Who's going to calm him from his nightmares of her never coming back? Who's going to make him feel better when he's feeling insecure? Who's he going to sit with him all Saturday and watch Star Wars? Just the thought of El not always being there for four years caused another sob to rack through his body. The sob was muffled by his sweatshirt but it was noticeable to people near him.