Letters and Promises

Sophomore year at Hawkins High. El and Will never moved away.

WARNING: So much fluff you might die.

 Mike set down his pencil and proofread the letter he wrote. Satisfied with no errors he needs to correct, he folds up the paper and places it in his shorts pocket. 

After class ends, he walks to the other side of the school and unlocks his girlfriend- El's- locker. Yes, they know each others combinations. He sets the letter down and closes the locker before anyone notices. 

Mike sees El walking towards her locker so he quickly slips away in a crowd of students and back to his locker to get his supplies for his next class.

-----

El parts ways with a group of students who are in her science class to go to her locker. She unlocks it and is about to put her books away when a folded up piece of notebook paper falls to the floor. She picks it up in confusion but smiles when she sees Mike's name scrawled on the front.

Quickly, she unfolds the paper and her eyes suddenly widen at how long the letter is but begins to read it nonetheless. 

El, honestly I don't know where to begin. There's so much to say to you but here goes nothing,

El, before I met you, I never thought I'd find someone. Never. I always thought I'd be alone. I thought no one would want a Frog Face like me. 

El teared up. How could he think that? 

That night when Lucas, Dustin, and me were searching for Will, I had a feeling we weren't going to find him but something was going to happen. I didn't know if it would be good or bad but I knew something would happen. 

We couldn't find Will and it started to rain and the guys said we should go back but I said no because I heard something. We turned around and saw you. A scared girl with a shaved head. No, a beautiful girl with a shaved head. I looked at you and you looked at me and it was almost like my heart stopped. There was just this connection, that I didn't understand, in that second between you and me. I didn't know what it was, just for some reason I knew you've been through a lot and I wasn't going to let anything happen to you.

When you started to trust me I was so happy. Then I found out you had powers and you never scared me just so you know. Never was I once afraid of you. When you told me bad people were after you, I was scared. Not of you. Of them hurting you or taking you. El, I only knew you for a day and I already felt this way. 

When you came out of the bathroom with the wig and pink dress on, I didn't mean you looked "pretty good" I meant you looked "pretty." I just didn't want to be teased by Dustin or Lucas. But now, I wouldn't even care if they teased me.

When you disappeared for that year, it was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. The first week you were gone, I wouldn't talk to anyone. I became this moody teenager that some kids would call "Emo Mike". I would tear up at any mention of the word Eleven. Whether it was an answer to a problem or just like "number eleven". 

I can't even express what I felt when Max showed up and Dustin and Lucas became obsessed with her. I guess it's because when you showed up Lucas wanted nothing to do with you but when Max showed up he wanted everything to do with her. So maybe that's why I was a bit bitter towards them. 

I was rude to Max because I thought she was trying to replace you even though she didn't even know you! I-I called her annoying even though she really wasn't. She told me you sounded really cool when Lucas told her about you and that's the first thing we had ever agreed on.