Heaven Is a Place On Earth

Another song based chapter! But it's gonna be a bit different since the lyrics won't be in the beginning of the chapter, more the middle/end. And I'm sorry but I'm going to make so many of these cause I've got a whole entire playlist dedicated to Mileven. Let me know if you want me to make a chapter that's just a list of songs that remind me of Mike and El. 

And it's super short but i just didn't want to drag it out and ruin it. 

I promise I've got longer stuff coming out, along with a new chapter of Flash Forward

----1990----

Mike blinks his eyes open, only to find himself staring into the darkness that enveloped the room he and his wife of five months shared. His heart felt like it was beating out of his chest, though he didn't understand why, but something felt off. Rolling over to find his source of comfort that would sure calm him, his arms wrap around thin air. His heart beats faster as he shoots up in bed to turn the bedside lamp on and saw that the spot his wife was once peacefully sleeping on was vacant, only a small indent from where she previously laid was visible. 

Throwing the blankets off him, Mike stands and stumbles out of the room, still possessed by the sleep induced sleeper. Blood pounding in his ears as he practically ran down the stairs, breathing rapid as his eyes dance around, looking for a certain someone. It wasn't like he had been dreaming about anything that would cause his panic-stricken behavior, so he really wasn't sure what was causing his panic-stricken behavior. His large feet pad against the wooden floors of their kitchen as he searches for his wife, but doesn't succeed, so he moves into the living room, his footsteps quieting down against the carpet. 

The first thing he's aware of is the faint orange glow of the lamp in the corner of the room, then his ears hear a sniffle coming from the other side. His dark eyes drift over to the couch, freezing upon the familiar frame of his wife. She sits, arms wrapped around her, head dipped down, back heaving as she cried, dark splatters against her grey sweatpants from the tears cascading down her face. 

His heart clenches excruciatingly within his chest, making a breath hitch in his throat, as his legs move subconsciously in her direction. Dropping to his knees directly before her, Mike doesn't utter a word as he places his hands on each of her legs, rubbing them gently up and down in a calming manner, and the fist around his aching heart loosens when her cries subside into small sniffles. 

A couple minutes passed until she finally lifts her her head, caramel brown eyes meeting concerned chocolate brown eyes, though hers were tinged red and a bit puffy, shining with unshed tears. She blinks, a single tear escaping her left eyes, rolling down her already blotchy cheeks and the fist that was once around his heart returns. 

Mike reaches up, briskly swiping the drop of water away, letting his hand linger near her cheek and his lips tug upwards in a small smile as she leans into his touch. His mind knows she isn't ready to talk, that she doesn't want to talk about it, but his heart already knows. It always knows what's bothering her. It was always just a gut feeling, ever since they met, that whenever she cried, he automatically knew, even if he didn't know the details. He'd just get a slight idea, and half the time, he was correct. And although Mike isn't going to pry, he has to cheer her up.

Standing, his hand slowly pulling away from her face as he does so, Mike walks across the room, leaving her alone in confusion on the couch. He stands in front of their record player they had purchased when they first moved into this house, and reaches a hand down into the bin that held all their record disks. Fingers slipping between each one, he searches for the one disk that held a song he is sure would get her to smile, and they curl around the Belinda Carlisle record, pulling it out of it's cover. Placing it on the record player, he sets the needle onto the rim, turning back around as the lyrics start to race throughout their living room.