Graduation

There really isn't much of the graduation in this. More of what happened before.

I also write all my one shots on paper first then write them on Wattpad so that's why it takes a long time for me to publish them.

June 8, 1994

Mike woke with a start. He looked over at his alarm clock to check the time. 11:00 A.M. His eyes widened and he threw the comforter aside, getting out of bed, and grabbing a towel.

"Mike?" El grumbled, blinking her eyes open. "What are you doing?"

Mike grabbed a pair of his underwear our of a drawer. He looked over at his wife of five years, they were married in 1989 at nineteen years old. El, was now sitting up in bed wearing his Star Wars T-shirt and her black sweatpants. She rubbed her eyes.

"We have to be at my parents by 2:00." Mike told her and she got out of bed. 

"Why?..." Her eyes widened. "Oh. Holly's graduation."

Mike nodded. "Yeah. I can't believe that she's graduating out of middle school today."

El smiled and pecked his lips. "Well, you go take a shower and I'll make breakfast." 

"Okay." Mike pressed his lips to hers and smiled through the kiss. He pulled away. "Thanks."

As Mike went to the bathroom to wash up, El tied her curly hair that fell to her shoulder blades into a messy bun. She walked downstairs to the kitchen of their two story house in Hawkins, Indiana. It was on the further side of town, away from where everything in their childhood had happened, and only thirty minutes away from Mike's parents house.

El opened the freezer, peering inside for two familiar yellow boxes, and spotted those boxes. She took out the two flavors of Eggo Waffles and popped two blueberry Eggos in the toaster, knowing those were Mike's favorite, and popped two original Eggos in the toaster.

She sighed and started making Mike's coffee. Yes, Mike's coffee. She refused to drink coffee because of the hard taste that the coffee brings into her mouth, so she settled with making herself a hot chocolate.

The microwave dinged and she took out the mug of warm water, pouring the chocolate powder into it, and stirring slowly. The waffled popped up and she grabbed two plates, buttering Mike's but not hers, and set them on the plates, bringing them to the table.

El went back to the counter and poured the coffee in Mike's mug. She went back to the table to see Mike already sitting down in black dress pants, white socks, and a white dress button up shirt

She set his mug down in front of him, pressed her lips to his hair, and sat across from him. 

Mike looked up from his plate. "Good morning, beautiful." Mike said, being cheesy. El blushed and took a bite of her waffle. "How'd you sleep?"

El shrugged. "Besides that nightmare last night, pretty good." 

"Yeah, do you want to talk about it?" Mike asked, reaching across the table to grab her hand.

She sighed. "It was...weird." She set down her fork. "It wasn't about the Lab or any of the monsters."

"It wasn't?" Mike took his last bite of his two waffles. 

"No." El shook her head. "I-I did something stupid and I lost you." El said, eyes welling with tears.

"What kind of 'lost' are you referring to?" Mike raised an eyebrow.

El wiped her eyes. "You left me." She took a deep breath. "You said you didn't want to be with me anymore. That you were sick of putting up with me."