Frogs and Streams

I don't even know if people read my one shots anymore but for the people who do, here you ago! Another chapter. I've got a couple more that I'm writing out on paper first (it's less intimidating than just typing it right away. It gives me time to change things and edit if I want to). I'm also editing this book for improvement, starting with the chapter: Family. Oh, and the ideas I have, I'll type them below the end of the story. 

Enjoy!

Set sometime in June, 1985

El paced back and forth on the porch to the cabin, awaiting for a certain someone to arrive. They had talked briefly over the phone the night before, a couple hours after he had left, and agreed he'd come over around noon after lunch. Somewhere around her, the sound of a stick breaking made it to her ears, and El stopped her pacing, her eyes racing around the forest that surrounded the cabin. She quickly found the source of the sound, much to her disappointment, it was only a squirrel running around. Huffing, El walked over to the steps and plopped down, holding the side of her head in one hand while the other plucked at a loose string in the brown flannel she wore.

A couple more minutes passed and there was still no sign of him whatsoever. Maybe he didn't want to see her today, or maybe he got caught up with their friends and forgot that he said he'd go over. El sighed, wishing she could be out with them at the arcade, getting ice cream, or swimming at Hawkins Public Pool. She wouldn't be upset if Mike had chosen to go do one of those fun activities with his friends rather than spend the whole day cooped up with her in a small cabin, she understood.

So deep in thought, El didn't notice the young teenage boy get off his bike, letting it drop to the dirt covered ground, not even thinking to lean it up against the side of the cabin. She did notice, however, when he took a step forward, the leaves crunching beneath his feet. Glancing up, El raised an eyebrow when she spotted the large garbage bag in his arms.

"Sorry, I'm late," Mike quickly apologized. "My mom stopped me on the way out and told me to bring these to you." He bounced the garbage bag in his arms. "She said they're Nancy's old clothes that don't fit anymore and she wanted you to have them since you don't have many girl clothes and-"

"Mike," She interrupted softly, standing up, and walking over to him. "I understand."

"Oh." He blinked. "Yeah, yeah, so uh-"

El cut him off with a giggle and a kiss on his freckled cheek. "You're cute." She smiled when he gave her a cheeky grin. "Come on." She led him up onto the porch and opened the door, letting him inside before she closed it.

They were heading to their room when a tall man stepped in front of them. "You're not moving in, are you, Wheeler?" Hopper glanced down at the bag full of clothes then backed up at his face.

"No, uh, no, sir," Mike stuttered out, causing El to giggle. "They're Nancy's old clothes. Mom wanted me to give them to El." He jerked his head toward the curly haired brunette who was still staring at him with a lovesick smile planted to her face.

"I see." Hopper adjusted his belt. "Anyway, I'm off to the station. I'll be back around 6:15." He gave them both a pointed look, more specifically toward Mike. "I trust you two will behave without me here." The two teenagers nodded. "Good. If you need me, call the station." Then he was out the door, slamming it shut behind him.

El headed into her room, assuming Mike was following close behind. Once they were fully inside, she jumped onto her bed, sitting crossed legged as Mike dropped the bag of clothes in front of her before sitting on the floor, his back against her dresser. 

Rolling her eyes at his antics, El tore open the garbage bag and pulled out the articles of clothing one by one. She was examining a plain yellow T-shirt (that she did like) when Mike blurted: