Roller Skating

Here it is! I'll be trying to update more frequently since season 4 got postponed 😫

Anyway, I'm gonna explain something. El is fifteen and as you read on, Mike drives. And yes, they are both sophomores. Mike is just a few months older than El.

"...and no funny business," Hopper told his daughter sternly, standing in the doorway as he watched her get onto her bike. "Do I make myself clear?"

El rolled her eyes but smiled nonetheless. "I'm only fifteen. I'm not ready for... that." She shuddered slightly at the thought. In all honesty, it scared her. Tightening her grip on the handle bars to her bike, she said, "But yes, I understand."

"Good." Hopper grunted, gesturing to her outfit. "You're going to see your boyfriend dressed like that? Aren't you supposed to dress nice?" He crossed his arms. "Especially for a date?"

"I told you, it's not a date." She glanced down at her outfit; tennis shoes, grey sweatpants, and a matching hoodie. "We're just hanging out."

Hopper smirked. "And your hair's a mess."

"Hop! It's in a ponytail." She picked at her curly hair that was styled into a  low ponytail, rolling her eyes again. "Besides, Mike doesn't care what I look like." She shrugged. "I'm leaving. When should I be home?"

"I'll come pick you up around 10:00," Hopper told her before stepping back into the house, telling her, "have fun," before closing the door.

El shrugged and sped off down the road on her bike, letting her thoughts overcome her. She knew he was only teasing but did what she wore matter? And her hair, did it actually matter if her hair was a mess? Were some boys like that? If they were, she was glad Mike wasn't. He was so sweet, not caring what she wore or did with her hair. He'd told her countless times that it didn't matter.

Besides all that, she was really happy that she was allowed to go places now. Just a year ago, El was barely allowed out of her house, only for occasional visits with Dr. Owens. Now that there was nothing happening and no signs of badmen in Hawkins, she was free to go wherever she pleased. The only rule? Stay away from the lab. But, she didn't mind that rule. She would've stayed away even if it wasn't a rule.

Only a few minutes later, fortunately, she arrived at Mike's house, bringing her bike to the door in the back before heading back to the front of the house. Since Sophomore year started, Mike had been spending more time in his room than in the basement. Something about liking being in his room alone and in the basement with company, she wasn't really quite sure the reason.

Pushing the doorbell once, El stood back and waited patiently. She knew full well she was allowed to just walk in whenever she wanted, Mrs. Wheeler told her so. But, Hopper always told her to be respectful and ring the doorbell, and since he was her dad, she listened to him.

A couple seconds later, the sound of footsteps could be heard on the other side. The door opened, revealing a happy looking Mrs. Wheeler. She smiled wider at the sight of El, opening the door wider for her. "El, you can just walk inside."

"I know," El said and stepped inside, removing her shoes respectively before walking further into the house, accepting a glass of water Mrs. Wheeler offered her after realizing she bikes. After drinking the water, El set it on the counter and asked, "How are you, Mrs. Wheeler?"

"I'm doing well, thank you. Ted, on the other hand-" Mrs. Wheeler rolled her eyes and gestured into the living room where his snores could be heard from. "-is sleeping as always. How are you, dear?"

"I'm good." El smiled and looked around. "Where's Mike?"

Mrs. Wheeler set the empty cup in the sink before answering. "Up in his room. He hasn't come down for a few hours and he won't let anyone in. Not even Holly." She pursed her lips. "Hopefully he lets you in."