Chapter One: The Spinning Room

PLEASE READ BOLD: 

This actually isn't a one shot. With one of my other fandoms, when I started another story, I always put the first chapter of the story on my one shot book. So, this is the first chapter of my new Stranger Things story called: Flash Forward.

But, this also could count for that one prompt where El goes back to explore unless you guys want a separate chapter where its just her. Let me know.

Anyway, I also need to say a few things before you begin reading: I've got a few headcanons that I used in this chapter and will be using in this story so just bear with me here as I list them:

Lucas is like an older brother in El's life. I kind of got that vibe from him in season 3 when he was saying how she was going to need back up. Like, he was one of the only people out of them who genuinely cared about her safety, not just the worlds. (whereas Dustin is that crazy best friend and Will is more of her like twin/best friend type figure)

I always imagined as El (in the future) being either a nurse, a therapist, or a school counselor because I feel like it just suits her. In this, I'm thinking she's going to be a school counselor at Hawkins High. And for Mike, he's either an author or a science teacher because that also fits him. In this story I think I'm going for both. (They got married at age 20/21)

And also, Will is very supportive of Mike and El's relationship, like he just loves them because his sister and best friend are just so happy. And like, yeah, he's just really happy for them and really always has been after El became his sister. 

Yes, season 3 did happen! BUT: Hopper is alive and is happily dating Joyce and because of what they've through together, they live together with El and Will (Jonathan went away to college)

So that's that.

Summary: One bright and sunny May afternoon, The Party, go to explore the abandoned Hawkins Lab, and somehow get pulled ten years into the future. There, they need to figure out how to get back with the help of a few familiar faces. 

Friday, May 16, 1986

Maybe it was the warm weather, and the fact she was wearing jeans and a T-shirt, or maybe it was the fact that she was standing in front of the place she once called home that was making her sweat. The building seemed to loom over her mockingly as if to say: What a fool! You finally escaped and now you're going back in? HA! Her fingers tightened around her backpack strap, her knuckled turning white in the process. She stared straight in front of her, her caramel eyes set in a cold gaze. 

"Are you guys sure this is a good idea?" Mike asked from beside her. 

El could feel his stare on the side of her head but she knew for a fact that he wasn't talking to her. Exploring the seemingly abandoned Hawkins Lab had no way, in any shape or form, had been her idea. Just a few hours ago she was safe in Mike's basement, snuggled up into his side while their friends made fun of them for being all "fluffy". But halfway through their Star Wars marathon, Dustin and Max, being the adventurous and daring people they were, had offered a plan to explore the lab. Lucas had agreed right away but the other three had been more hesitant. Somehow, they had persuaded El into agreeing.

So now she was standing in front of the main doors of the Lab, the place that had taken almost everything away from her, the place where she endured the torture of being an experiment, the place she once thought was her home. The place where she was only an experiment, a number, no where near a normal human being. 

From a few feet in front of her, Max snorted, breaking El out of her unhealthy thoughts. "Yes, it's a good idea, maybe even great. No one said it was a safe idea, but who cares?" She rolled her eyes in Mike's direction as she shouldered her backpack, then peered into the glass double doors. "It's totally empty. Besides, what's life without a little bit of risk, huh, Micheal?"