Hammocks and Stories

This one-shots was requested by @xoxox55. Enjoy!

June 12, 1985

El and Mike were laying on a hammock right outside the cabin, the light breeze gently rocking them back and forth.

El laid on top of Mike, her arms wrapped around his middle, and her head rested on his chest. Mike had his left arm wrapped around her waist and his other arm wrapped around her shoulders, his hand playing with her curls.

In the peaceful silence, Mike felt El let out a breathy laugh against his chest. Mike tightened his grip on her slightly with a smile. "What are you thinking about?" He looked down at her lovingly.

"Last year, when I went to Chicago to see my sister." El said quietly, playing with his blue shirt.

Mike was taken aback. She's been to Chicago? She has a sister? "Wait, you went to Chicago?"

El nodded, shifting so she could look up at him. "To see my sister, Kali." 

Mike's eyebrows shot upwards. "So you have a sister?" 

El, again, nodded. "She has powers too. She can make you see or not see things." She told him. "She escaped from the Lab when she was little." 

"How did you find out about her?" Mike asked, running his fingers through her hair. "You didn't go back to the Lab did you?"

El shook her head. "No." Mike sighed in relief. "Mama and Aunt Becky told me about her. Mostly Mama though." 

Mike shook his head, taking all this new information in. "Wait, hold up, you met your mom and your aunt? You've been to Chicago, alone. And you have a sister who also has powers?" 

"Yes." El nodded, crossing her arms on his chest, and placing her chin on them- looking up at his face. "That's what I said."

"Can you, like, explain all this to me?" Mike asked her and she nodded. 

"I was cleaning the cabin after I shattered all the windows and knocked over a bookshelf." Mike snorted as she glared at him. "It's not funny! It was because I wasn't allowed to see you and I snuck out, against the rules, and went to the school. When I came back I got grounded and Hopper he broke the TV and-"

Mike interrupted her by hugging her tighter and teasingly said, "Awe, because of me!?" Then he frowned and loosened his grip. "Wait, you knocked Max off her skateboard, didn't you?" 

El's cheeks flushed. "Yes." She mumbled and buried her face in his chest. Mike laughed and El looked back up at him. He kissed her cheek causing El to smile.  "Okay, back to the story." 

"Okay, and I found this box that said Hawkins Lab on it." El continued. "So, I grabbed it and looked through the papers. I saw one with Papa and this woman. I visited her in the void and she called me Jane, the name of the woman's child that got taken away as a baby. She was my mom." 

"You were taken as a baby?" Mike asked. "How old?" 

"I'm getting there." El waved him off. "Then I got into a truck and the man drove me to Mama's-"

Mike interrupted, again. "You got into a truck with a man?!" He exclaimed. "El!" 

"What?" She answered, innocently. 

"You don't- you can't just get into a truck with a man." Mike said. 

El shrugged. "He was nice. He didn't kidnap me."

"You just got lucky." Mike muttered, hugging her tighter. "What if you did get kidnapped?"

"El rolled her eyes like it was obvious. "I'd snap his neck before he could even lay a finger on me."