Questions

Noah

As I sat in my car I thought about what happened yesterday.

Isla sneaked into my room and scaring me half to death by tripping. I must admit, that was hilarious.

After that, we both settled down and started drawing. I drifted off but woke up to someone tucking me in.  Gentle hands push my hair away and took off my glasses. My mom must have come back from work early. I waited for the sound of her leaving the room but it never came. The feeling of someone eyes on me drove me insane, curiosity took over me. I opened my eyes and was shocked to see Isla looking at my face. I froze and grew uncomfortable "uh" was the only thing that could escape my lips at that moment.

Horror washed over her face and she quickly walked over to the window. I noticed that her things were still sitting on the table. I grabbed her only to be pushed off. She ran off and I spent the rest of the night thinking about what happened.

I glanced at the door and finally understood that Isla was not coming out. I looked over at her stuff which was placed in the passenger seat. With a sigh, I turned on the car.

She must have really thought my face was messed up, that's why she is avoiding me.  Insecurities appeared in my mind. I moved my hair over my face, trying to ignore the bad thoughts.

My eyes scanned the street and caught a familiar person. The poofy ball of hair on her head and the oversized sweater was a dead give away that it was Isla.

I sped up until I caught up to her. She glanced over at me and froze. "What are you doing walking to school?" I questioned.

She ignored me and started to walk quicker. "You know I have your things." I tried to hide the teasing tone in my voice.

She stopped walking and glared at me."Give it to me." Her hands reached out to me. I shook my head and smiled."Only if you ride to school with me." She opened the backseat door and threw herself inside without a word. That was surprisingly easy.

After a couple of minutes of silence, I opened my mouth. "So uh.. yesterday." Isla grabbed the door handle but I locked it. Her jaw clenched. "T..thanks for making sure I wouldn't wake up with a sore back?" I said trying to lighten the mood. She sank deeper into her seat

"Listen I know why you are avoiding me.." Isla threw her hands on her face, like if she was dreading what I was going to say next. "I know that when you saw my face... You thought that I looked horrible." I let out a deep breath, it was hard to actually say that out loud.

Her head shot up. "No, I am avoiding you so that you don't have to avoid me" I raised my eyebrow in confusion. She sighed "I must have looked really creepy." she mumbled. "I'm not creeped out, just confused."

Isla sat there fidgeting with her fingers. " I wasn't staring at you because I thought you looked bad."

Here it comes the pity.

"I finally fully saw your face."

Oh no.

"And uh..."

I flinched as I waited for the truth.

"Yourkindacute" she blurted.

I slammed my feet into the brake and felt Isla fall into the back of my seat. She cursed and rubbed her arm.

"I..I'm sorry" I ran my fingers through my hair and bit my lip. "I d..didn't hear you properly."

"I am not going to repeat myself!" Isla quickly covered her face with her sleeves.

Did she really think I was cute? No one has never called me that... Well, sometimes my mom calls me handsome but-

"Can you drive already." Isla snapped. "Oh shoot, sorry" I sat back up and deeply inhaled before driving. The car ride was silent.

Once we reached the school I realized that I haven't responded to what Isla said. I slowly turned around to face her.

She avoided eye contact. What should I say? "Um..."

"Can you hand me my things?" I froze and quickly shut my mouth. "I don't want to be late or anything"

"R..right." I grabbed her stuff and reached it out to her. Our hands brushed but she quickly pulled away and exit out of the car.

I sat in the car to calm down for a little bit before gathering my things and heading inside the school.

-------------

I walked out of first period keeping my head low. It felt....cold walking alone to class, but then again, this is definitely not the first time it happened.

A couple feet ahead of me, Isla and Jasmine were walking together and talking. My only friend left me for someone else.

It was expected. Anyone that has entered my life never stays. I quickly walked tried to walk past them. "Hey, Noah!" I looked over my shoulders to see Jasmine waving at me with her dark twinkling eyes and an uncomfortable-looking Isla standing beside her.

I slouched my shoulders, my attempt to pass them unnoticed has failed. I gave a shy wave but Jasmine motioned for me to come over. I sighed and reluctantly made my way over to them.

"Y'all have plenty of time to get to class no need to rush," Jasmine said as she pats my shoulder. I hide my flinch with an awkward smile.

"B..better to be e..early t..than late" I mumbled. She smiles and nodded her head in approval."You guys are such good kids." Her tan arms draped over us. "It's a relief to know that there is still hope for the future."

Isla let out a forced laugh and I smiled uncomfortably. Jasmine finally releases us and slung her bookbag strap over her shoulder. "Anyways my class is right there, I already skipp-, I mean missed a couple of days and it's only the first month of school."

She disappeared into the sea of people that currently flooded the hallways. Isla walk silently ignoring my presence, I bit the inside of my cheek. It was a miracle that Jasmine couldn't feel the tension between us.

I walked ahead of Isla ignoring her as well, I didn't want to upset her even more if my presence bothered her.

It's amazing to know that there are 10,000 views on this book. It's even more amazing that some of you guys come back to read every chapter no matter how late I update or how many errors that my writing has <3.