Chapter 20: Who's Maya?

Dad and I sat in Happy's hospital room. I can't look at him. He was covered in bruises and cuts. He had bandages wrapped around his head and a breathing tube. I did not want to come back to this. He was in an explosion somewhere. I wasn't listening after I heard, "Happy's in the Hospital! He was in an explosion-!" Thats all I heard. Dad was pissed... and scared. I gripped his hand and squeezed the reassuringly. He looked at me.

He's going to be okay. I told him in his mind. He sniffled as he nodded. He's trying to convince himself he is. A nurse walked in. She didn't notice us. She checked to make sure Happy was okay. She grabbed the remote and turned of the small TV.

"Hey." Dad greeted the nurse. The nurse jumped slightly. She quickly looked over to us. I wiggled my fingers at her. She smiled. "Mind leaving that on?"

"Oh yeah, sure." She turned the TV back on. It was on mute. Dad stood up. His arms crossed. He nodded at her as a thank you. He felt almost helpless. He thinks it's his fault. I stood up and grabbed Happy's hand.

"You gonna be okay Happy." I smiled weakly at him. I rubbed my thumb on the back of his hand. I sniffled.

"Sunday Nights. PBS. Downton Abbey. He likes the show, he thinks it's elegant." He pauses for a moment. I let go of Happy's hand. His other hand was in a cast. "One more thing, make sure everyone wears their badges. He's a sticker for that sort of thing, plus my guys won't let anyone in."

We walked out of the room. Dad had body guards to watch the room. He didn't want Happy to get hurt again. We walked to the main lobby. Dad and I put on our sun glasses. I brought some just in case I cried. Which I did, but Dad calmed me down. We could see the news reporters waiting outside. I sighed. Of course they're here. We walked out of the hospital and all the reporters started their questions.

"Mr. Stark! Miss Stark!"

"Mr. Stark! How do you plan to react to this attack!?"

"Mr. Stark! Our resources are telling us that this is another Mandarin attack! Anything else you can tell us about!?"

Dad opened the driver's door, but a voice stopped him. I walked to the passengers side. I stood at the door and looked up at Dad.

"Hey Mr. Stark! When is somebody going to kill this guy?!" A man's voice yelled over the commotion. Dad turned towards him slowly. He glared at him. The man shrugged nonchalantly as he held his camera in his hand. "Just saying."

"Is that what you want? Here's a little holiday greeting I've been wanting to send to the Mandarin. I just didn't know how to phrase it till now. My name is Tony Stark and I'm not afraid of you. I know you're a coward. So I've decided..." He took of his glasses and stared at the camera. "That you just die pal. I'm gonna come get the body. There's no politics here, just good old-fashioned revenge. There's no pentagon, just me and you. And on the off-chance you're a man, here's my home address. 10880 Malibu Port. 90265. We'll leave the door unlocked." My eyes widened under my glasses. What the hell Dad!?

Dad looked at the smirking reporter. "That's what you wanted right?" Dad grabbed his camera and threw it against the brick wall, smashing it into pieces. He turned back to the nervous reporter. "Bill me."

"Mr. Stark!"

We got in and drove off leaving the reporters on the side walk. After a few minutes of silence, I spoke up.

"You are such an idiot!" I glared at the man. He rolled his eyes. "You just threatened a terrorist and gave them our address!"

"I know Hope, I recall doing that." He nodded as he stared at the road. His knuckles turning white as he squeezed the steering wheel tightly. Pepper can give him shit when we get home, so I decided to let it go.