Chapter 51: Sam Wilson

I was seated in the chair I was previously in, before Steve got here. Fury waited patiently at his desk. He stared at me, waiting for me to say something. I cleared my throat, obviously regretting saying anything. But I might as well.

"I don't trust S.H.I.E.L.D." I told him. He raised an eyebrow. I bit my lip nervously.

"And why is that Agent Stark?" Fury asked as he sat up straighter.

"I get this feeling, about when something's about to happen, good or bad. I've become more aware of my surroundings. My dad always used to follow that feeling, and it hasn't failed me yet. Do you have a device for something to hold back my powers?" I asked. Fury looked confused.

"Like to stop me from reading ones mind or something?" I continued. He chuckled.

"If there was, I would gladly use it. I hate the feeling of knowing you can see inside my head." Fury stated. He chuckled at the sight of my glare. I rolled my eyes eyes.

"Well, I can't read half of the agents here in S.H.I.E.L.D. It's bothering the hell outta me. The only other time this happened was with HYDRA-." I stopped suddenly. I let it slip. How stupid am I? Fury's joking manner seemed to evaporate, as his face morphed. He stared at me with an emotionless expression.

"You know about HYDRA?" He stood up slowly. I gulped, but nodded my head. He walked to my side of the desk. "How?"

"... I can't tell you that. But what I can say, is that I know they are out there. They have a... a secret weapon. A 'machine' they call him. I think you know who." I looked up at him. He nodded. "I ran into them while back, they were the same way as some S.H.I.E.L.D agents. I can't get into their mind. I've been practicing, getting stronger with my magic, but it scares me that I can't get through them. The only people I trust are the Avengers, you and... a close friend." I told him. He looked down in thought. "S.H.I.E.L.D. may not be what we think it is."

~

I left Fury's office in a rush. I don't know why, but I did. Plus, Fury said he had someone he had to talk to. I found Steve leaving Peggy's nursing home. He told me he would be visiting her. Steve told me he wanted to visit someone else.

We walked towards a room with a group in it. A Black man stood in the front, at an podium.

"The thing is, I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week. He thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag... I thought it was a IED." A woman spoke from the small group of people. I frowned slightly. This is a support group. The man in front nodded at her.

"Some stuff you leave there. Other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase, or in a little man-purse? It's up to you." I smiled as I listened to the man's words. Steve and I stood by and listened.

The session was now over, and I stood next to Steve as the man running the session walked over to us. I smiled at him. He smiled back.

"Well look who it is, the running man." The man smirked at Steve. Steve nodded and mentioned towards me.

"Sam this is-." He started, but I cut into off.

"Hope Stark. Pleasure to meet you Sam." I held out my hand. He smiled at shook my hand. His grip strong.

"Sam Wilson." He nodded with a smiled.

"We caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense." Steve stated as Sam collected his papers and books.

"Yeah brother, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret." Sam looked back at the people leaving the session. I looked to my feet. I like this guy.

"You lose someone?" Steve asked, knowing the way he was talking. I frowned. He only asked because the way Sam was taking. Steve was the same way with Bucky.

"My wingman, Riley." Sam frowned slightly at the remembrance. "Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op. Nothing we hadn't done 1000 times. Until an RPG knocked Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch." Sam told us. I walked up to him and gave him a hug. Sam stiffened. Steve chuckled softly. "Umm..."

"Just go with it." Steve spoke from behind me. It's about time he learned that.

"I'm sorry Sam." He hugged me back. I pulled away and smiled at him.

"Thanks Hope." He smiled gratefully.

"After that, I had a really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?" Sam looked over to Steve.

"But you're happy now, back in the world?" Steve nodded. Sam crosses his arms.

"The number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So hell yeah." Sam tried to lighten the mood. Steve smiled and I laughed. I can't imagine what being in the military must feel like. Think it's similar to the Avengers team? "Are you thinking about getting out?" Sam asked.

"No." Steve answered while scrunching up his face. Then he tilted his head side ways. "Well I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I did." Steve answered.

"Ultimate fighting?" Sam suggested. Steve and I laughed at the thought. "Just a great idea at the top of my head. Seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?" Sam asked Steve. I looked up to Steve. I already know what makes him happy. He looks down at me. He thought for a moment.

"I don't know." He shrugged. I looked over to Sam.

"How about you Hope, what makes you happy?" He asked. I thought for a moment. What makes me happy?

"Family." I stated as I side hugged Steve. Steve grinned. Sam nodded with a chuckle. "And maybe knowing I can help change the world, protect it. My powers may have been forced in me, but I learned to live with them and use them for good." I nodded as I made that promise. Steve wrapped his arm around me. A proud smile on his face.

The three of us walked out of the building, all deciding on going to get pizza, because pizza is amazing.