CHAPTER 8 (learning to trust)

I was really hoping to wake up in a bed or in my hammock back inside the dorms, to just wake up and find that everything that had happened to me to just be a dream. To my disappointment, it’s not, I wake up still in that tree outside of team RWBY’s dorm window. I groan and unwrap my tail from around the tree’s branch, I stretch with a huge and rather croakie pitched yawn.

“Who would’ve thought, sleeping in a tree is actually not that bad.” I hear a small and gentle chuckle. Opening my eyes wider I see Blake staring at me, her arm is on the window sill with her head in her hand's palm, she’s staring at me with dreamy eyes. I blush at the faunus cat girl and move some hair behind my ear “H-hey Blake, h-how long have you been watching me?” she chuckles and moves her arms down “Hmm, pretty much all night.”

I almost choke “A-all night!?!” she nods and almost giggles, it’s evident in her voice “Relax I just wanted to make sure you didn’t fall from the tree.” she swirls her index finger in a circle making me blush even more. I suddenly yawn again, my long dragon tongue comes out as I do so and my tail curls up in the air. Blake giggles out loud, I raise a brow and rub my eyes “What?” she finishes chuckling “Nothing, your yawn just sounds like a dog or cats, and the way your tail sticks up when you stretch is really cute.”

I didn’t think it was possible but I blush harder “Y/N your blushing so much,” she chuckles “I’m just complimenting you.” I nod and cover my face to make sure I don’t get a nose bleed “I-I know but you didn’t have to say all that stuff to my face.” she shrugs “I’m just trying to be nice, after how…” she takes a deep breath “The way your eyes looked, how they burned with so much hate, I just wanted to make you feel better.”

I sit up on the branch and kick my scaled feet back and forth “I appreciate it, I think I’m okay now but I don’t think me and Weiss will be on good terms for a while now.” she nods “I know but she really didn’t need to slap you.” I nod and start to twiddle my thumbs at the question I’m about to ask Blake “Um hey Blake,” she tilts her head a little “I-I was wondering, do you maybe wanna go get breakfast with me? A-after how many people probably know about me running away and my sudden… change… I don’t feel comfortable going by myself.” she smiles and shrugs.

“I-I’ll meet you down.” she nods “Okay, see ya there.” Blake closes the window and I see her leave. I quickly jump down from the tree, somersaulting in the air, I land on both feet before walking to the front entrance of the dorms. I wait maybe five minutes for Blake to come down, as she walks through the door I quickly throw on my hood and try to hide my tail before we walk down to the dining hall.

The number of stares I was getting was pure agony and too many to count, Blake moved really close to me and offered her hand to me without words which I had gladly taken. I know she’s a faunus too… but can I even be called that? After what that guy with the red hair and awful sense of style said to me I don’t even know what I am. While we’re at the table eating I suddenly think out loud “I mean when was the last time a faunus went full animal?”

Blake stops putting a spoon full of eggs into her mouth and points her eyes at me, I don’t notice because I’m too deep in thought. She taps my shoulder snapping me out of my haze, I shake my head and jerk it at her, she looks concerned. “You alright?” I want to say yes and lie but look down at Blake’s blade and shake my head “No… not really… Blake, I don’t really know how to feel right now, seriously I think I’m really losing it. I’m glad I’m here with you and eating normally for once but I have so much to think about that I can barely enjoy this small breathing point.”

I start to scoop up my food and drop it back on my plate, sorta playing with it in a way. She sighs “I wish I knew how you felt, I know I’m a faunus too but after hearing what you're really thinking about and how you say you feel… it’s obvious I have it easy,” I nod and she leans over to look me in my eyes “That was just a small sample of how you feel wasn’t it?”