Chapter Three

“WE’RE JUST HAVING FUN! WE DON’T CARE WHO SEES!” 

I covered my ears as Niall screamed the lyrics. I was sitting between him and Liam. We were on our way to the Sydney Harbor. 

If only we were.

If only I were.

I didn’t even bother finishing up the drawing of the Harbor I was working on in the journal.

I threw the book down and leaned back in my chair.

“Miss Casse, you have a visitor,” Haley said knocking as she entered my room.

I looked up, curious to see who it was.

It was 6am. My Mom or Adam usually came by at lunch or in the evening. They usually just came right in, they were never escorted to my room.

My friend Whitney slowly walked in the room.

She started to wave and then dropped her hand. She gave me a friendly smile as Haley shut the door.

“Hey,” she said smiling.

I hadn’t seen her in months. 

“Why aren’t you in school?” I asked.

“I can be a bit late. My Mom told me that no one visits you this early, so I figured I wouldn’t be seen by anyone I know,” she said sitting down in the chair beside me

“You shouldn’t be here,” I said standing up.

“But.. I wanted to see how you were doing.. I mean, I haven’t seen you in forever and when I heard about your.. incidents.. I was worried,” she said looking at her hands folded in her lap.

“I’m fine. Everyone here has made sure of that, you shouldn’t be later for school,” I said picking up the journal and putting in my bedside drawer.

Whitney didn’t say anything for a second.

“I’m sorry.. I know it’s hard—” she started.

“Would you please just leave?” I asked.

She looked up, a hurt expression on her face. I didn’t even care. This was why I didn’t want visitors. I didn’t care about anyone anymore and all I did to anyone was hurt their feelings. They only waste their time coming here.

“Okay.. I’ll see you..” she said standing up.

I waited for the door the close behind her before finally sitting down on the bed.

I leaned back on my pillows and closed my eyes. 

They burned as they watered. I felt like I hadn’t blinked in days. 

I heard the door open, but I didn’t move.

“That was wrong of you,” Haley said

“What’s wrong is you letting her in here,” I said.

“Michaela, you can’t just act like that. People actually care about you! Do you not realize that?” She asked now closer to me.

“If I were dead I wouldn’t have to realize anything, would I?” I asked, my tone calm.

“Well you’re not dead! You’re gonna have to deal with it!” Haley said, her tone sharp.

The door opened again.

“Okay, okay, ladies, Haley get back to work,” Nurse Addie said.

I heard Haley leave, but I could hear Addie breathing.