Chapter Nine

“Still haven’t gotten your sleeping habits right, huh?” Emma asked pulling on her jeans.

“No..” I said taking a sip of the coffee I had gotten earlier, around 5am.

It was cold, so I spit it back in the cup and set it down.

The night before, when I had gotten out of the shower, Emma was already asleep, and I had been awake all night. I was tired, ridiculously, but I wasn’t sleeping. I had drink about three cups of coffee all through the night. I started feeling an anxiety attack coming on when I’d gotten the fourth cup and I just sat down in the middle of the lounge floor. It, of course, was 5am, so I wasn’t worried about being seen, but I didn’t want to repeat what had happened on the plane. I sat there for about thirty minutes before I finally returned to my room. 

I only took about 3 sips of the coffee and I left it sitting on the bedside table.

“Well Marie isn’t coming till tomorrow, so we’re stuck with Hallie and Jacob, again, but we’re free to do what we want because the boys are still off for a few more days,” Emma said fixing her hair in the bathroom.

“You go hang out with Zayn, I’m probably just going to stay in, catch up on some sleep,” I said folding my legs as I sat up.

“You sure? You just got here.. I don’t want you to feel left out cause all the boys are with girlfriends and you’re… here..” she said pulling her socks on.

“No, it’s cool,” I said, shrugging.

“Hey, you should call up Niall, since he’s the only one that doesn’t have a girlfriend to spend time with,” she suggested.

“Yeah.. maybe..” I said watching her pull her shoes on.

“I mean.. not that you can be his girlfriend, it’s just he doesn’t have a girlfriend, and you guys were hanging out, and like were close back in New Zealand, and… yeah.. I’m gonna go get some breakfast,” she said, turning for the door.

“Okay..” I said quietly as she left.

The coffee wore off. I passed out. 

“GIRLFRIEND, GIRLFRIEND, YOU COULD BE MY GIRLFRIEND!” 

I swear, nothing is louder than a phone in the morning time. Or just when you’re sleeping, really. 

I reached for my phone and knocked if off the bed. I sighed, sliding to the edge of the bed and reaching to pick up my blasting phone. Right as I picked it up, it stopped ringing. I looked at the screen.

“One missed call ‘Mom’.” 

I wondered if she thought I was stupid, or she was just stupid herself. I erased the call and glanced at the time. 11:15am. I had gotten about three hours of sleep, but I still felt like I could pass out again.

I laid my phone down on the pillow and rolled back over to the other side of the bed.

Five minutes later the phone rang again.

I grabbed it and looked at the screen. Unknown call. I ignored it and laid the phone back down.

I had almost fallen back asleep, when it rang again.

I snatched the phone back up, expecting to see my Mom’s number or another unknown, but instead it was Nicole’s. 

I pressed answer and put the phone to my ear.

“Hello?” I said rubbing my eyes.

“Hey.. you sound like you’ve been sleeping,” Nicole laughed.