The Sahaabah and the Preservation of Qur'aan

The commandment of "Iqra!" came down unto an illiterate nation; a nation drowning in ignorance-ironically the very same nation played a vital role in preserving the Qur'aan.

Allah says, "Indeed, We have sent down the Quran and indeed, We will guard it." (Hijr: 9) The greatest miracle of all times-The Qur'aan has survived centuries without any adulteration, when no previous Divine Book enjoyed this privilege.

The revelation of the Qur'aan was a stream of aayaat descending over a period of 23 years. Rasoolullah appointed a few Sahaabah as scribes. They would write the aayaat down onto whatever they could find-scraps of bone, stones, leaves, parchment and animal hide. Sayyidina Muaa'wiyah and Zaid bin Thaabit (Radiyallahu 'anhum)  were among the scribes.

Very few people of the time were lettered. The Sahaabah had excellent memories. They had strong minds and could memorise easily. Most of the Sahaabah were thus huffaadh of the Qur'aan. They would memorise it from the Nabi of Allah and also implement it in their lives. The Qur'aan is accepted as mutawatir. During the life of the Nabi of Allah it was spread through oral means.

During the battle of Yamaamah, many Qurraa were martyred. The number of huffaadh weren't as many anymore, and there was a risk of losing more Qurraa in future battles. Sayyidina 'Umar (Radiyallahu 'anhu) was very perturbed that the Qur'aan may be lost and brought this concern along with the suggestion of gathering the Qur'aan to the Khalifah (Radiyallahu 'anhu) . At first Sayyidina Abu Bakr (Radiyallahu 'anhu)  was reluctant to do something that Nabi didn't do, but then realised the danger in leaving the matter. He summoned the scribe of Rasoolullah , Zaid (Radiyallahu 'anhu) to gather all the parts of the Qur'aan into a Book. Sayyidina Zaid (Radiyallahu 'anhu) was very cautious in this matter.

Later Sayyidina Hudhaifah (Radiyallahu 'anhu) was on an expedition in Syria and Iraq. He was alarmed by the differences in qiraat, and told Ameerul Mu'mineen 'Uthmaan (Radiyallahu 'anhu) to save the ummah before they differ like the Jews and Christians concerning the Book. Sayyidina 'Uthmaan (Radiyallahu 'anhu) made copies of the Mus-haf compiled during the time of Sayyidina Abu Bakr (Radiyallahu 'anhu) and send a copy to different regions, ordering all other copies to be burnt.

The Sahaabah took on the task of preserving this miraclewith amazing faith, consideration and concern. It is through their efforts thatthe Qur'aan is still being read and memorised centuries later.